Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Nova

Sunlight streaming through the window next to me shoots pain directly to my head, and I haven't even opened my eyes yet. I groan, throwing the covers over me to block it.

"Oh, the hangover. Can't say I miss those days."

Shit.

Last night I got sick. Caleb brought me home and Tilly woke up from all the commotion. I couldn't stop throwing up.

"I'm sorry." I sit up slowly as to not send my stomach churning again. "I didn't mean to..."

"Don't worry about it. I assume it won't be a regular thing." Tilly waves her hand in front of her face, grinning. "I think you got your punishment already. I heard you in the bathroom until almost three AM."

My chest warms even though the rest of my body feels like shit.

"Thanks."

"I'm making you breakfast."

I swallow down the bile rising in my throat at the thought of eating.

"I don't know if I can."

"You can. Honey, I did my fair share of partying. This is the hangover cure. If you can keep it down, you'll be fine the rest of the day."

I drag myself out of the daybed, trying not to think about how atrocious I probably look.

I sit at the small wooden table and she places a paper plate in front of me. It has eggs, cheese, spinach and bacon. Then, she sets a smoothie in front of me.

"It's got coffee in it. Don't worry."

I smile and force the first bite. It tastes great and I realize how badly I needed something other than alcohol on my stomach.

"Thank you. It's delicious."

"I have some errands to run. I'm assuming you don't feel like tagging along?"

"No, thanks."

"If you can think of anything you need, call me. Please wash the dishes... when you can stomach it."

Tilly grabs her purse, pats me on the back and leaves me alone at the house.

When I've finished eating, drinking my smoothie and chugging a water, I decide to get some sun.

I can blame my sickness on the alcohol, but I know that's only a small part.

I remember Greyson. I can't believe it took me a week to connect the dots. How could I forget him?

He looks different now, that's probably why. More muscles, longer hair, a sharper gaze.

When I knew him, he was scrawny with a buzz cut and his uniform was always wrinkled or a size too big. 

He had a little brother, too. A freshman when I was a sophomore.

The memories make me feel sick.

We were mean to him.

Not mean. Awful is the word.

I wasn't around for all of it, but Caleb would brag about the shit he did.

He thought it was funny.

Caleb would beat the shit out of Greyson's younger brother. Make him do sick things. I know he'd mess with Greyson, too, but for some reason, he hated his younger brother.

I strain to remember the kid's name, but I can't.

Around that time, Caleb was only beginning his fascination with me and I look back at that year as being the beginning of dark days. Darker than my mom dying. Darker than even now.

Caleb always has someone to bully, but he was particularly bad with Greyson's brother.

He's only settled down now because he got in trouble. Not real trouble, but enough. His father threatened military school. If only his father knew the things he was doing. He would've sent him to military school a long time ago.

I jump off the dock and into the water. It's warm underneath the sun and I sink under, staying as long as I can before coming up for air.

At Oak Prep you either bully or get bullied.

I'm a coward. I'd rather be on the side where I don't get hurt.

It's not okay. I'm not the hero of those anti-bully movies who stands up against her friends and helps the person in need.

I have my reasons. Like I said, it's either bully or get bullied. I'm not strong enough to handle the latter.

"Just like your mother, Nova, always caring what people think." My dad's voice haunts me and I duck under the surface again trying to clear my head.

I get out of the water and drip-dry in the sun.

By the time I'm going inside, I already feel the sting on my skin.

I examine myself in the mirror, letting my eyes linger on the mark Greyson left behind.

Is he trying to get revenge on Caleb? Is that why he said those awful things about me?

What's he planning to do?

My curiosity is probably better left in my head,but that's not where I intend to keep it.