Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Greyson

Nova is shaking her leg up and down wildly in the passenger's side, picking at her nails. Heartless by The Weeknd plays lowly from the speakers and Zed drums along on the back of my seat.

We're headed to Oakland.

Nova told us she knows where the spare key to Caleb's house is and how convenient that every Thursday night he stays over at a friend's house.

Having her on my side is already paying off. I've been wanting to go in his room forever, but having a breaking and entering charge wasn't part of the plan.

"His house is all one story, but it's huge." I grin as I listen to Nova's ramblings. She's trying to prepare us for the house, even though I've been plenty of times from the outside. "They have a finished basement. Does that make it two stories? I don't know."

"We're here."

"We're not—"

"I'm parking down the street, Nova. They might not have cameras but the neighbors could."

"I guess I'm not a good criminal." She softly laughs as she brings her thumbnail to her mouth.

I park the Jeep in an alleyway and we head in the direction of his house.

I hope no one sees us, even just walking down the street, because we look like we're up to no good.

Zed always takes these trips way too seriously. He's wearing a black hoodie, black jeans and combat boots.

Nova looks so nervous I'm worried someone might think we kidnapped her.

When we approach his house, Nova leads us around to the back.

"Why are his parents never home?" Zed whispers. It's something we've always wondered, but never had anyone to ask.

"His parents aren't very... happy together. His dad stays at work as long as possible, or with his mistress. His mom sleeps over at her parents under the excuse they're getting old and need help. It's really because she can't stand to be in her bed alone while she knows her husband is out cheating."

Nova picks up several stones in the flowerbed beside the front steps before finally picking up one with a pill bottle attached to the bottom.

She retrieves the key and hands it to me, and we're in the house without a hitch.

Zed and I follow Nova wordlessly as she heads straight to Caleb's room.

In true stalker fashion, I've seen his room before through the window.

His bed is in the corner always unmade even though I know they have a maid that comes to clean. I wonder if she has instructions to not enter his room? Or does he simply make it messy again not long after she leaves?

Shoes and clothes litter the floor, water bottles are piled onto his nightstand and a pizza box sits in the floor.

"What exactly are you looking for?" Nova whispers.

"I'll know when I see it."

I start opening drawers. Zed checks the closet and Nova opens his nightstand.

I see nothing but socks, t-shirts, boxers and a drawer full of junk.

Then, we all freeze at the sound of the front door opening and footsteps heading down the hall.

"Get in the closet!" Nova whisper-yells, pushing us frantically towards the closet doors.

We step in the walk-in closet, and Nova closes the door on us.