Five: Pain and Loss

Art credit goes to @/trix_eclipse on Instagram 

Fire. 

Explosion. 

Death. 

Loss. 

Pain.

Closed doors.

Omega bolted up screaming. Tech, the only person on the ship who was awake, ran to her side. 

"Are you alright?" his concerned voice cut through her fear.

"I-I-I-I—" Omega stuttered, fear in her gaze and breathing heavily. 

"Hey, look at me. Are you okay?"

Omega lifted her fear-filled, chocolate-brown eyes to Tech's. 

"I—I saw fire....I felt the same kind of pain I felt when Hunter was killed....I heard an exposition....I smelled blood....and I tasted ash and salt water. A metal door then blocked my view of the explosion. Tech, I don't know if it's a vision or just a nightmare!" 

The girl started to cry, and the other Clone held her in an embrace. "I-I'm sure it was just a dream." He tried to keep his voice in control. "Everyone gets them."

"I suppose....but it did feel so real! A-and I swear I heard Hunter's voice too!"

"W-what?"

"I don't want to talk about it. All I know is something very wrong is going to happen."

Tech nodded. "Very well. You should get more sleep."

"I'm fine. I don't want to sleep anymore. Can I stay up with you?"

Tech looked at Omega in surprise. No one had ever asked him that other than Crosshair. 

"Oh....sure....I guess."

The two looked into hyperspace together. Omega climbed onto Tech's lap and soon fell back asleep. Tech wished he could follow suit, but knew he shouldn't. 

Tech just sat there, looking out into hyperspace as he thought about a conversation he and Hunter had a long time ago when they were cadets.

"It's okay to be scared, Tech. It's okay to feel pain and to show it. I'm here for you—I always will be. Don't let those reg's words get to you, okay?"

Tech had clung onto Hunter as he nodded his head, convulsing sobs refusing to let him speak.

Hunter hadn't only been his big brother—he was always Tech's best friend. Always there for him.

But in the moment Hunter needed him the most, Tech wasn't there for him.

So he put all of the blame on himself.

Tech didn't know if Wrecker or Echo knew how broken he had become. If either, it was most likely Wrecker.

Slowly, as he was thinking about Hunter, Tech drifted off into peaceful sleep.

A few hours passed, and Echo found Tech and Omega sleeping. 

Echo took a holo-picture of them to blackmail Tech with.

"Hey. Hey wake up. We're almost there," Echo poked his brother. Tech sleepily swatted Echo's hand.

"Tech," Echo tried again.

"Fine." Tech was never the "I'll-let-you-wake-me-up" person.

"Also, Omega fell asleep on you."

"I know that."