Now You Don't

A bright light

A bright light. It radiated. It was blinding, even. Was it the gates to heaven? No, some consider this beam of light much more powerful. Was it some type of glistening star? No, but it was a light for a star.  

One lone spotlight shined down on the oak wood stage as eager locals shuffled through the dim theater, searching for a seat. The Novak Family Magic Show was premiering and the small town of Dyersville was ready for a show. Dyersville was a quiet town, except for Friday night's varsity football games. They knew little about the traveling act, but a buzz had grown. Stories of the spectacular show sprinkled through the town, so the locals pieced together what they could for a ticket. The Novaks were a family of brilliant performers. Some say 'the act is so good, the magic might just be real.'

A voice perfect for a campfire ghost story echoed through the theater. "It's now the moment you've been anxiously waiting for. The moment when your mind escapes reality and your thoughts lose all sense of sanity. It is I, your master of magic for the night. But you can call me Grandpa. Our show tonight will also be led by my son, Josef Novak, and his beautiful wife, Anna. As well as their children: Maria, Henry and The Breathtaker June Novak!"

"Breathtaker?" A bearded man hollered from the audience. "That's the stupidest thing I ever heard." His untamed facial hair that disguised his relatively soft face bounced with each chuckle.

"Dad, shhh," the bearded man's teenage daughter pinched him in an attempt to make his skin as red as her embarrassed face. "I've been waiting weeks for this."

An elegant piano melody overtook the theater. Several more spotlights hit the stage. The curtain lifted. Six shadowy figures stepped into the bright lights. It's the Novak family. They were all dressed in fine black coats of cotton, highlighted by Grandpa Novak's tall gray top hat. The family of performers soaked in the glow from the audience. Except for June. Even though she had been bestowed The Breathtaker nickname and was always given the most important tasks, her attention was more focused on her family than pleasing the audience.

"They got any beer here?" The bearded man loudly interrupted.

"Dad, quiet. It's showtime," his daughter quickly piped back.

The theater was small enough for Grandpa Novak to speak to the audience without a microphone. "Welcome to the greatest show no one knows. Dare I say, a show that doesn't exist. Only you, my lovely audience, will be a witness." Grandpa Novak waved his hands through the air as if he was performing some sort of ancient ritual. He pulled a deck of cards from seemingly thin air. An ohhh and ahhh rippled through the crowd.

"Pick any card, pick a card." Grandpa Novak shuffled the cards effortlessly. "But you must hurry, I can never seem to make these cards stay long." In a poof, the deck of cards vanished from his hands.