Spaghetti & Meatball

A black mask and bodysuit accompanied by a flowing red cape

A black mask and bodysuit accompanied by a flowing red cape. Yes, The Necroman was back.

Investigating these dog pounds was a stealth operation done at night, so August could don his Necroman outfit once again. While it felt good to be back in his superhero gear, something felt off. Nails' words rang in his head. Not Again.

August cased the dog pound for days, so he knew the coast was clear. August leaped over the back fence with ease, his cape spread out like a bird's wings. The entrance was locked, but that was no issue for August.

He held his palm out to blast the door wide open... and nothing. He just froze like a cool bucket of water in the middle of December. 

I can't.

While August wanted to continue his mission and find Kora, he didn't want to use his powers. So much harm had come from them. So much death. The feeling reminded him of when he couldn't remove his Nercoman uniform at The Main Street Market. There was a fear brewing inside of him.

August dug through the small toolkit on his belt. He used a tool to pick the lock of the door instead. He tried to remember his training from Precinct Zero. Even though August was given the role of Specialist, he still went through traditional Investigator training. Investigators are the classic field agents of P0.

The dog pound was tiny. There weren't even many dogs there. This was the last pound on August's list. After rummaging through much of the joint, the Nercoman was just a man with no answers. This was not some secret hideout for the unseen.

I'm out of ideas, scared to use my powers... This can't get any worse.

August adjusted his cape as he headed to the exit. When he did, a warm liquid splashed him in the face. He turned to see a chihuahua with his tiny leg up and a golden stream meeting the bottom of August's cape. This had indeed got worse. "Damn it!"

August stormed out of the dog pound. He sat down on an old milk crate next to the dumpster outside.

Stunk of animals... Where are there animals?

The moment August had this thought, his eyes met a flier posted on a nearby light pole. It was an advertisement for the Huckleberry Park Zoo.

###

Meatball gripped the steering wheel. His eyes darted back and forth. Every car that passed, he analyzed the color, size and speed it went. Meatball was clearly on high alert.

He then glanced at June. To his surprise, June was just the opposite. Window down, head hanging out of it. She was free as a bird.

"You realize I'm supposed to move you discretely?" Meatball asked. "That's my entire purpose here."

June stretched her arm out the window. She loved the feeling of the wind passing through her fingers. "Lighten up. We are miles from Old Glasgow."

"Miles aren't enough when it comes to The Badge." Meatball glanced at June again. He found her loose nature infectious. Meatball relaxed his shoulders and turned the volume up on the radio. He had it on the local jazz station. "We do have a long drive. Can't be on high alert the whole time, eh?"