The Villain's Journey

August was back at the most secluded payphone in Old Glasgow

August was back at the most secluded payphone in Old Glasgow. The streetlight above flickered. A flash of light, then pitch-black darkness. On and off. Light and dark. It reflected how August felt. The flash of light. A superhero who worked for the most impactful organization in the history of our world. Darkness. Nothing but a hitman for an intrusive, controlling and dangerous operation. On and off. Light and dark. Which narrative was true? Could two things be true at the same time? So many questions drifted through August's mind. Yet, the only real question that mattered to him... What is true to me?

"Tell me you got something good," Captain Howard's voice echoed through the payphone.

"I don't," August replied in a lifeless tone.

"Which farms did you sweep?" 

"Top Hill and Foley."

"Did you make sure–"

"Yes." The only emotion that breathed life into August's lifeless tone was exasperation. "I followed every protocol. I observed the farms for days. I was meticulous when inside the premises. I also monitored the farms afterward to ensure my entry was completely undetected."

"Good... Good, August. Precise."

"There was nothing I would classify as noteworthy. By any definition."

"Good boy. You might just earn your cape back!" Captain Howard said with enthusiasm.

"I'm fine without it."

"Why?" Howard questioned. "The greatest part of dishonor is the chance to earn back your honor."

"It's not that." August scratched his chin as he went back and forth about how much he wanted to elaborate on this. "I don't see the point. I am supposed to remain undetected. Dressing as a comic superhero only makes me stick out more."

"Well of course that is true," Captain Howard piped back. "Do you remember why we gave you The Necroman uniform?"

"No. Not really."

"You were scared, August. The uniform comforted you. It reminded you of purpose and strength."

August remained quiet, indifferent.

"I want you to wear it." Captain Howard said with the encouraging tone he would often use when he felt August was losing steam. "You got one more farm. See if you can find the witch or anything suspicious. Then you'll come back home to us at Precinct Zero. And remember, no detours!"

"I got it. Next stop, the Masschester Farm."

###

"Do you know what today is?"

"Not sure, Mr. Novak... I mean Grandpa," Luke replied.

Grandpa Novak smiled. "It's June 10th. The day June was born."