Happy Clams

Luke,

Luke,

We are ¼ the way to California. I cannot wait to get there and start the magician school I was telling you about.

I've spent so much of my life on the road but I have surprsingly never been to the golden state.

After being at the farm for so long, it feels wierd to be on the move again but at the same time, it feels comfortable.

I miss our morning chats. I told Henry to bring you coffee when he could. 1 scoop of sugar, 1 splash of cream, how you like.

I've taken your advice and focused on helping my family. "Being the wolf" : )

Cannot wait to see you again! We are on the move, so it will be hard for you to write me. But I will write again!

June

With a lick and a seal, June was ready to send her first letter to Luke. She kept her end of the deal. Did Meatball keep his, June wondered. She could hear his voice outside.

June peeked through the window of her motel room. It was hard to see Meatball from her angle. But she could see his squared body swaying back and forth in a phone booth. He's got to be doing it.

Meatball wrapped up his call and headed toward June's room. He had a bit of pep in his step, which she thought was a good sign. She quickly backed away from the blinds, as June didn't want to tip her hand that she was peeping.

Meatball knocked on the door. "All packed? I got the car ready."

June opened the door with her bag in hand. "Let's do it."

Once situated in the car and ready to continue their adventure, June couldn't hold back any longer. "I wrote the letter!"

"Very good!" Meatball replied with a big smile. "And how did it feel?"

"Great. It was like he was right next to me when I was writing it. You were correct, I was being foolish. I won't hesitate to write him again."

Meatball nodded his head and continued on his drive. They waited until the evening to hit the road again because, as Meatball had said, 'darkness is our defense.' They eventually turned down a near pitch-black road that was surrounded by nothing but forest and woodlands. Perfect for a discreet drive.

"There are all sorts of roads like this in Kansas." Meatball turned his head back and forth as he eyed his surroundings. "Very off the grid. There are something like 5 million acres of forests in the state."

"Wow...." June tapped her knuckles on the dashboard. "So."

Meatball peaked over at June "So?"

"I wrote Luke."

Meatball smiled again. "I kept my end of the deal. Half of it at least. I talked to my mom."

"Really? And?"