To Live, To Fight - //Levi Ackerman x Reader//

— — — —
@Katsuki Bakugou on Quotev
— — — — — —
TO LIVE, TO FIGHT
[Levi Ackerman x Reader]
— —

It'd been a long day in the barracks.

The sun was at its midpoint in the orange-ing sky, only a few clouds drifting by. Heaving a breath, you wiped some sweat off your forehead as a wooden broom was gipped tightly in the palm of your hand. It was always a ton of work for you once the Scouts returned from any of their missions from outside the walls; you weren't complaining, though tending to the horses when all they wanted to do was rest was a bit of a challenge.

Hands writhing from being coiled around the broom handle for so long, you couldn't help but painfully stretch your fingers. Taking the white-clothed gloves off of your hands, you pulled the matching facial covering down onto your collarbone.

When you were a little kid, you always thought of what it would be like as a part of the military. Of course that was a long time ago... Staring down at your half-missing leg, and the wood peg replacing it, you almost grimaced.

You'd been through the training, joined the Garrison regiment, and participated in the military's work. However, just over three years ago, your role in protecting humanity was severed. Torn straight from your hands, taking a piece of your dignity with it... it still haunted you.

A few months ago, the city of Shiganshina was overrun by the Titans when there had been a breach in the wall by a Colossal Titan, followed by an interior breach from one of the deranged creatures that wore some type of armor. When the walls fell, and everyone evacuated behind the second wall, Rose, everything had gone into a downward spiral of panic. Unfortunately, while fending off the Titans that threatened humanity, one managed to get its teeth just under your knee, and of course drag it down to Hell. You fended for yourself, making it back on time to be assisted into wall Rose, but you had been stripped of your rank, along with your pride.

However, you served humanity well, putting your skill to use and knowledge to fight the Titans. Your sacrifice had not been in vain, as more lives were saved due to your courageousness.

Commander Erwin had told you that.

It'd been so long since you dreamed of joining the military, it seemed like a million years ago. Now you were in your late twenties, with nothing moving you forward other than to assist the Scouts as best you could. After the incident, you'd put your cleaning skills to use and offered to help freshen up the barracks whenever it was needed, which lead to a thorough instruction from one of the Scouts' Captains, Levi Ackerman. A clean-freak, or borderline germaphobe, with one of the highest ranks in the military you'd ever seen. Watching him train cadets slice Titan dummy napes was like watching a cake being sliced without being able to see the knife.

Before you began your position in the barracks, you'd gotten the rundown from the Captain himself, teaching you were everything went and how to do it. Honestly, it had been a lot, so extensive notes were a bit of a necessity in order to retain all of the information. Of course you had it memorized by now, but if you're being completely truthful, Levi was major-league intimidating when you first met him. As of now, you knew him well, and for about two years, so the two kind of contradicted themselves out of existence. Thus creating your friendship, as you would have called it. Hange too, as she often picked on you for assisting with her Titan research, but you didn't mind that too much.

Nevertheless, you had finished your run-through of the stables, all the horses had been fed, cleaned, and the hay bail situations were all done and dealt with. Putting up your broom, you did one last take on the stables standings, agreed with yourself that it was all well and organized, before shutting the door and locking them up. You were given a key from the Captain of the Garrisson regiment, so you could get in or out whenever you pleased.