Chapter Twenty-Three - Final Straw

Chris had called Rafe in a panic. They needed to talk, he'd said. He needed to come into the office. Rafe had refused – he wasn't up to sauntering about the office as though everything was fine. It was decidedly not fine. So, Chris had asked if he was staying at the hotel, and Rafe had questioned how he knew. Thus, his friend had been forced to accept that at least part of Lucy's story was true. But he hoped it was just that; a story.

'We'll come to you then, if you won't come into the office,' Chris told him.

'Who's "we"?' Rafe asked, with incredulity.

'Myself and Lydia.' If Lydia was involved, there was obviously a problem. A proper, serious problem, and not just drama. Drama would have warranted the interference of Vicky. Lydia was reserved for genuine crises.

'Fine,' Rafe sighed. 'Room two-one-one. Just come up.' And less than half an hour later, Chris – sweaty and red in the face – and a stoic Lydia were sat on the sofa in his suite, whilst he stood leaning against the wall.

'Won't you sit down?' Chris asked, with obvious irritation.

'No,' Rafe replied, because sitting down was the very last thing he felt like doing.

'Well,' Chris frowned. How did one go about accusing their best friend and business partner of sexual assault? Should he handle this as a co-owner – from one member of staff to another – or as a friend, searching for the truth? But he was confident that he knew what the truth was already. It was just difficult to navigate, as he had a tendency to err on the side of caution and always favour the underdog, lest anyone cry "coverup!". 'Lucy Williams has made an accusation about you. A very serious accusation. At this point, it's between her, Lydia and myself, but if we can't resolve it ourselves, it will have to go to HR.'

'An accusation?' Rafe queried; a flash of ire dancing in his eyes. 'What type of accusation?'

'Of sexual assault,' Lydia told him, without inflection. He snorted.

'Bollocks.' Or perhaps, bollock.

'That may very well be, but we need an explanation. She said she was here, waiting for her date and that he didn't turn up. That she saw you in the bar, instead. Said you had a drink together?' Lydia probed, allowing Chris to panic in silence.

'That's what she told me, too; about a date. We did have a drink together. At the bar.'

'And then she said she tried to leave, but that you invited her to your room for another drink?' Lydia pressed.

'You think that I would ask her up to my room?' Rafe scoffed. 'I wouldn't even deign to offer her free alcohol, let alone invite her into my private space. Let alone touch her. Jesus Christ!'

'I know,' Chris placated, before turning a worried frown upon Lydia. He looked at her with a grimace. 'Am I allowed to say that? Is it discriminatory? Is it... inappropriate? Closing ranks?' She rolled her eyes at him.

'We both know you don't believe her. Let's not perform the charade of pretending that you do. I'm here, because I can be impartial, alright?'

'As can I!' the overweight man complained.

'I really don't care one way or the other,' Lydia interrupted, holding up her hand to silence him. 'The point is, an accusation has been made, and we need an explanation which will enable us to resolve this as quickly and quietly as possible, otherwise, it will go to HR. It will tarnish Rafe's character, the reputation of the business, and expose Lucy to undue scrutiny. That's not in anyone's interests.'

'And how can I help you to resolve things?' Rafe asked. 'Her accusations are patently untrue. If you can't see that for yourself, there's f*ck all chance of me enlightening you.'