chapter 8 -- make up

Written: Aug. 29 - Sep. 1, 2021

Edited: Sep. 1, 2021

So sorry, this one jumps around a lot.

\=/

Two months. Two long months, and Dream and Error hadn't spoken to each other at all since the incident with Nightmare.

Error had tried to do as he had always done, though it never felt the same. Dream continued to do what she had always done, but it didn't feel right. She could feel Error's negativity and guilt, no matter the distance they had.

But she ignored it.

One day, Error had had enough. The guilt he would never admit to was eating him up inside and he had had enough. He kicked a rock and teleported to Outertale, to the same cliff he and Dream had so often visited together.

He thought about everything that had happened at that spot. He thought of Dream.

Dream could feel the negativity he was giving off. Maybe ignoring it wasn't going to work anymore for her.

\=/

Dream had intentionally ignored Error's negativity. She didn't want to talk to him, and she had been busy with other things anyway.

But today...she was tired and just wanted this whole thing to be over. She hurried to her room and got dressed, then grabbed a sticky note and pen. She wrote a note and gently folded the paper in half, holding it firmly in her hand.

Dream opened a portal to Outertale, where she had sensed Error to be, and peeked through. She saw him hunched over at their usual spot, his arms around his knees as he looked out in front of him at the stars.

He looks so lonely...

She shook her head and dropped the note some distance on the ground in front of her. She noticed Error turning around, no doubt feeling the positivity natural to her presence. She closed the portal and slid down her wall.

\=/

Error held the crumpled note in his hand gently, feeling that if he opened it to quickly it'd simply burn right then and there. He unfolded the top and smoothed it out, reading the three simple words to himself almost breathlessly:

I forgive you.

He stared at the words. He read them again. I forgive you. I forgive you? I...forgive....you...

"Sh-she forgives me...? So could she still...?" Error trailed off, his mind racing as he subconsciously had a smile forming on his face.

"Error."

He turned around, quickly stuffing the note in his pocket as he met with Killer's hollow eyes. "What's up?" Error asked casually.

"The Majesty says there's a new AU gone down, time to clean up," Killer stated, a massive grin plastered to his features. He pulled out his knife and held it up. "C'mon. Just follow me."

\=/

Ink knocked on Dream's doorframe and walked up, her hands fiddling behind her back nervously.

"H-hey Dream?" she started nervously.

"Yes, what is it?" Dream stood up from her spot on the floor and dusted her robe off.

"So...you remember how you told me to not encourage another weak AU idea?" - Dream looked mildly concerned – "W-well I may or may not have done the opposite. And Nightmare may or may not be at one right now like...give it a...um, not so great time."