chapter 17 -- questionable

Written: Nov. 6, 2021

\=/

Dream didn't want to go to the party anymore. Both Ink and Blue were too busy to answer her questions about it, and if they did answer, it was nonchalant and not very informative. After a while, she stopped asking about it.

The guys had continued to come over for the past few days to work on their suits while the other three girls worked on their dresses. While the visits were undoubtably nice – having everyone in the same room genuinely enjoying themselves – things became uncomfortable quickly.

Error kept to his corner, put on headphones, and did his own thing. He only ever talked to anyone if he needed scissors, a marker, or some other material. Even then, he'd only ask Nightmare, Ink, or Blue.

Dream was almost finished with her dress, her mask was done, so now all she had to do was add the finishing touches. Which was a good thing, considering they only had another day until the party.

Dream stopped her working to glance over at Gray. He gave her a smile and a wink, then stood up. Dream's attention turned back to her hands and the cloth in between her fingers. She noticed he was acting very strange recently. Not his usual quiet, hungry, and lurking self. He was acting odd. She dared to use the word flirtatious to describe how he had been acting toward her.

Gray stood at her side, his hands in his pockets as he cocked his head to the side to look at her dress. "Dream?"

She looked up, giving him the most patient smile she could. "Do you need to go to the store again?" she asked, as if she were expecting it.

Gray nodded, still grinning. Dream sighed. She put down her things and stood up. Once again, like the other few times, he called Error to join them. And once again, Error reluctantly followed them from the noisy room.

The three went to the same store in Underswap, Gray hurried off into the same direction as he had the past few times. And same as last time, Dream and Error were left alone together. Waiting.

It seemed 30 minutes had passed, and still no Gray. Dream almost wanted to leave him there longer. Maybe Error would take him back since she had to finish her dress today. Dream slid to the floor, pulling out her phone and deciding to check her texts to see if she missed anyone's call or message.

Not long after she started scrolling, she felt someone sit next to her - their shoulder right up against hers. Dream looked up, startled, and saw Gray leaning onto her shoulder, his singular red eye observing the text on her screen. Without a word, Dream put the phone in her pocket and stood up, brushing herself off.

Gray chuckled. "Too close for ya, muffin?"

"Y-yes, actually," Dream stammered, crossing her arms over her chest. She turned on her heel and began to walk out the door.

Odd. She felt some sort of negativity coming from Error...

Gray quickly caught up to her, throwing the plastic bag in his hand over his shoulder. He glanced down at her, debating whether he wanted to continue the plan or not.

Dream sped up her pace. Gray caught up, slipping his arm around her waist. She flinched, stopping her pace. "W-what are you doing that for...?" She asked, her hand hovering over his, debating to shove him off forcefully.

"Walkin' too fast," he said lowly, pulling her closer. Dream flinched, gently trying to push his arm away.

"S-sorry, I'll walk slower then." She removed his arm from around her waist and walked side by side with him now, trying to keep her nerves down and her pace slow.