Five

Aubrey Hart

The birthday dinner Elora, my mom, and I have had planned for months hit a slight roadblock that resulted in some last-minute changes once we got back from the beach.

Back in February, we rented out a restaurant for Lani's birthday, but since then, we've added my grandparents, Niall, Ruby, and Elora to the guest list along with a few of my older cousins I don't see very often. It got to the point where they couldn't possibly seat all of us even after renting out the whole place, so we decided on a compromise.

Niall offered to go pick up the food from the restaurant that we pre-ordered to be served to us at the dinner since he had nothing better to do, and everyone is coming to the large beach house we'll be staying in for the remainder of this trip to eat. We'll have people eating both inside and outside, lots of space amongst the area that's nearly a mansion, and a wide variety of foods to choose from even if we can't go to the actual restaurant.

This means that Elora and I are now hosting Lani's birthday dinner, so if anything doesn't go as planned, it's on us.

That aspect of this compromise has added a layer of stress to the night.

I'm trying to remain positive and excited nonetheless, straightening out my short light orange mini skirt before adjusting my tucked-in deeper orange top with puffed long sleeves that cuff around my wrists. All of my usual jewelry is on as my hair remains in its natural wavy form, my focus shifting to Harry with some over-the-top jazz hands as I display my outfit to him.

"Is this good?"

He instantly nods from his seated position on the closed toilet seat, his hands smoothing over the fabric on my hips before he pulls me closer to him, "So pretty, baby. I love your skirt."

"Thank you." I smile over the compliment coupled with his touch.

I observe his look, taking in the cream shorts, white tank top layered with a white short-sleeved open button-up on top, and hair clip holding his curls on the top of his head that are hard to tame. That idea was his, but I did it for him and love it, so I hope he decides to keep it.

He pulls me into his lap after taking in my slightly overwhelmed demeanor, sighing when I'm in a steady position on top of him and pressing his forehead to my own. He pushes my hair behind my ear on my left side, peering into my eyes.

"I know you're stressed, and I am too, but I'm sure everything about tonight will be okay." He assures me in a low volume due to our close proximity.

I nod against his forehead, "I'm trying not to be, but the fact that tonight is my responsibility now just worries me."

"You're good at being in charge, though."

"I am, but this is really last minute. I don't have time to prepare a little more for my extended family all coming here in less than thirty minutes."

I see his nerves spike when he realizes how close we are to having a house and backyard packed full of people waiting to see him—a good amount of which he's never met. I nod in agreement with the concern, taking a breath in an attempt to center myself.

"Lani told me about your grandpa..." He trails off like he's afraid to mention it.

"We'll be getting to him last for both of our sakes. He has the right idea with protecting me in the way he does, but he executes it horribly sometimes. I don't think he sees that I can protect myself, but I try to just let him do his thing. I didn't wanna tell you about him ahead of time and worry you even more."

"Awesome. Great. I'm excited." Sarcasm coats his voice as his widened eyes look into mine, our noses brushing against each other.

As he parts his lips to say more in apprehension for tonight, I kiss him to quiet his nervous rambling. He kisses me back without question, his eyes fluttering shut and long eyelashes resting on his cheeks as he breathes me in.