Eight

Aubrey Hart

We're going back to the real world today.

As much as I don't want to, we've had enough fun in Hawaii. I have a job to start, a cat to take care of, and people to check up on. Niall has to get back to his book, Elora her painting, Ruby her jewelry making, and Harry his songwriting. We'd love to stay in this protective bubble we've seemed to have around us throughout the trip—all parts of it outside of my bad dream that was witnessed by the entire house, for that matter—but that's impossible.

We're the first people in our large group to leave, so some of my family has decided to accompany us to the airport to say goodbye. After making it through security, we only have a brief wait until our boarding time, meaning goodbyes have to be said upon entering the waiting area.

I turn to Harry as he holds Luana on his hip, widening my eyes as a nonverbal signal to get started on departing from her. She's very torn up about him having to leave, and I know it's only going to get worse when the time comes.

He nods, understanding the look on my face and brushing her curly hair behind her ear so he can speak to her more clearly. He's easing into it as best as possible, and while he does so, I decide to focus on my moms and Kanoa like the rest of us are. Elijah hung back with the rest of their children while Kanoa obeyed Luana's wishes of driving her out here when she heard it's where Harry was going to be.

Ruby hugs Kanoa and speaks out a brief goodbye, then focuses on my moms. She wraps one arm around each of their necks, pulling them in for a tight squeeze before backing away to really look at them. Lani frowns at the sad look on Ruby's face along with the rest of ours, knowing we all wish we could just stay here and together despite how irrational and nearly impossible that would be given our jobs and lives in general.

She's really bonded with Lani over this trip, and I know she wishes we could be closer to her. While we can visit my moms whenever we want, it's a bit of a trip. This vacation has given us a glimpse of what it would be like if we lived closer to them.

"You guys have to come up and visit more often." Ruby states.

"We will," Lani assures her with a sad smile, "I'm so glad you all came. This has been one of the best birthdays I've had in a while."

"I had so much fun. I could listen to all of your different stories for hours."

Lani turns to my mom with Ruby's words, "At least someone doesn't find them annoying."

My mom's jaw falls open in defense, "I said that one time! You walked into the bathroom while I was in the shower and started telling me about two teachers you had in middle school!"

"Yeah, teachers that got caught in a storage closet during their lunch break! It was interesting!"

Ruby's eyes widen, eager to hear more of this one. These small drama-filled aspects of life growing up are ones she didn't ever really focus on due to having much bigger problems. I'm glad Lani's incredibly vivid stories can give her a glimpse of what she's missed.

"It's a really interesting story, but I was trying to shave. I let you tell me it when I got out and could focus!"

"Yeah, whatever," she rolls her eyes, focusing back on Ruby, "Anyway, I have a lot more I can tell you. I'll never run out of them."

Ruby smiles with a nod, pointing her finger at them both, "Okay, good. I better see you guys at least once before my birthday."

"It's marked on my calendar. We'll stop in before that, I promise." My mom says, watching Ruby's face soften.