Chapter 1

Dear Michael,

Today you told me you loved me. It wasn't the first time, but it still made my heart fill to the brim with metaphorical butterflies. You smiled when I told you that I love you too. Your smile faded shortly after that, I could tell that something was bugging you. I knew you wouldn't tell me what was wrong in person. Sharing our life problems and worries has always been something we've done on sheets of paper.

I could see it in your green eyes, I could tell that the next letter I got from you would be stained with tears. It's how many of your letters have been recently. Each and every one for the past five months have had the residue of your sadness bleeding through the black inc. I've asked you every single day for the reason of your sadness. So far my only answer has been what I've guessed is a riddle. "You need to wake up my love." But I do not understand. I have fallen asleep with you every night for so many months, I always wake up beside you. Each morning I tell you that I need another clue, but you never say the words I need. You only shake your head and tell me the same thing in the same hushed tone. "I can't tell you."

You can tell me anything, everything. You can spill your life story out to me until you've run out of things to share. I feel like you don't trust me anymore. In the year and a half we have shared love together, you have never been as secretive or sad as you have these past five months. I love you so much, my dearest Michael. Please tell me what your words mean. Please tell me what I must wake up from to make you happy. I just want to see you smile, hear your beautiful laugh.

Love,Elora