Today's Trip-up [5]

The sun yawned as it stretched over the eighth day of my stay, smiling chipperly as it dawned over the early morning sky. Its face fell as bickering grew louder from the penthouse, wishing to retreat back below the horizon.

"You slept with the dog again, seriously?"

I rose up from the pile of fur on the floor, Reti's large tail wagging excitedly as I finally woke up from my deep slumber. I scowled at Hawks, rising to my feet. "Reti is comfy and warm, and makes me feel safe from shower-peeping pervert birds," I huffed, and his feathers expanded, his cheeks turning red.

"I-I am not a pervert!" He defended himself, crossing his arms. "Besides, I'M not the one getting up at ungodly times this past week. Seriously, what the fuck." I stuck out my tongue and put my hands on my hips, looking for my new uniform. "You could literally just... Stay here, ya know? I don't mind having you as a roommate," he offered, and I sighed, shaking my head.

"Yeah that's great and all, but I'm not in the business of weighing someone down," I explained, and quickly added on when I saw him bristling. "I'm really, really grateful to you Hawks, you're giving me a chance to get back on my feet, I'm just taking it. I don't want to burden you any more than I have to." He rolled out of bed and groaned, stretching his arms over his head. He shook his head and crossed his arms.

"Whatever. You can stay here as long as you like, cupcake," he yawned lazily looking down at me pointedly. "Need a flight to work?" He asked casually, and all the blood from my face fell, and I vehemently waved my hands in denial. He grinned and ruffled my hair. "Have a good day at the bakery Bubblegum. I'll stop by on my lunch break, cya then." I nodded and watched as he left me to my own devices, feeling slightly unsure of myself.

I pouted and turned towards Reti, who happily panted as she twisted her golden eyes up towards me. I scratched her nose and she closed her eyes and leaned into my touch, which caused me to smile. "Why does he want me to stay so much, girl?" I asked her quietly, and she tilted her head, her ears flopping to the side. "Right, sorry, I'm just thinking out loud." I took my uniform and locked the bathroom door and slipped into my outfit.

It was a white dress that flipped out at the hem, with a pale yellow apron overtop. I walked out and put the leash on the dog as the bakery I worked at miraculously allowed dogs to remain in the store, where patrons could pet them. Reti loved it every time, becoming more and more comfortable with humans. I slipped on a leather jacket and placed headphones over my ears, and hummed along to the music that played.

The streets were silent as I made my way to the bakery. It always was this early in the morning. Reti was also enjoying the solitude, glancing up at me every so often. It was quality time that I took to reappreciate my surroundings, my life and what it held in store. Anticipation had always bubbled up in me on these walks, and by the time I reached the bakery I would channel that feeling into boundless energy. I pushed open the doors and smiled at the chime of the bells, and one of the openers looked up and smiled at my arrival.

"Bubbles, it's so good to see you! And Reti," she cooed, slipping out a dog treat. Her tail wagged and brushed by my leg with anticipation, her tongue lolling out of her mouth with desire. "Who's going to be a fantastic girl? You are!" She chirped, and tossed a treat. Reti easily rose on her hind legs and caught it in her mouth, chewing it happily.

"How's it going Mitsu," I asked, going behind the counter. "You seem pretty awake this morning." She beamed at me, her finger idly curling her indigo locks.

She nodded, turning her black eyes back to the counter as she wiped the wood. "Heh, yeah, I guess I am," she said wistfully. "I might have met someone last night," she admitted, her pale cheeks dotting with blush. My jaw dropped, and I squealed and clapped my hands.