Ever After [Ending]

"Mom! Mom can we go flying!"

"Have asked your dad if you're wings are ready for flight?"

"... No..."

I snorted, turning around from my oven with steaming apple cinnamon muffins. My eyes softened as I smiled down at the twins, both with bright sun-blonde hair as wild as their father's, with bubble freckles just like mine. My little girl shared my same eyes, twinkling with mischief and expertly muted hope. Ami stuck her bottom lip out and crossed her arms, her scarlet wings fluffing out with annoyance.

My son Eiko rolled his amber eyes and stuck out his tongue, his own feathers slightly ruffling at the thought of being told no. I sighed, my will caving in. With quick hands and a stoic face I plucked two fresh muffins from the tin and and grinned cheekily as I placed them in their waiting hands, as well as holding up another one above their tearing up eyes.

"Mom," Ami sniffled, her hands slightly trembling. "Mom they're kind of hot..."

I nodded, smiling as I took a a large bite from the muffintop, licking my lips as I savoured the flavours. "You're dad likes 'em piping hot," I reminded, and winked at the two of them. "If you can convince your dad you're ready for flight, then you've got my blessing too. Better go quick," I sang cheekily, and the tears on the twins both vanished in the light of a competition. They turned to each other, before spinning on their heels and sprinting through the house, screaming his name.

Gentle laughter turned into snorting as Keigo came up behind me, wearing his own devious grin. "You are evil," he chuckled, slipping his arms over my shoulders and pulling me into his chest, burrowing his nose into the crown of my hair. I tipped my head up and smiled lazily.

"Suppose I am," I replied onto his lips, lightly kissing him. Butterflies still managed to flutter in my stomach, even after five years of his sweet affections. "You know they'll just come running back though."

"Not before they learn that pestering you about flight is just about as useful as trying to get me to bake," he exhaled, stepping out from behind me and now leaning against the counter beside me, using his free arm to flick my nose playfully. I scrunched my nose in feign annoyance, raising my eyebrows as if to say really Keigo?

Hearing laughter ring throughout the house made my heart melt, and a feeling of surrealism blanketed over me. It didn't feel real, being here. With this house that Keigo built with his own savings, out in the country. He simply whisked me away that morning in his penthouse, the sounds of the police pounding on our door. I haven't been afraid since then.

Especially not since he slipped the emerald-diamond ring on to my finger, claiming me as his for the rest of our lives. It was complimented very nicely by the shimmering gold wedding ring just above it. I lifted my right hand to examine the rings up close, humming softly. Keigo rested his head on my shoulder, also staring at the rings.

"Sometimes it doesn't feel real," I whispered, still staring at the dainty jewelry. "Every day I feel like I cheated for this, like somehow my life here couldn't be so perfect."

He silently grasped my hand and brought it to his lips, lightly kissing the rings and my hand before brushing his lips on my cheek. "It's all real," he assured, wrapping his arms around my waist and squeezing tightly. "You wanna know how real?"

Loud pitter patters of feet ran straight towards us, the twins both out of breath. They still managed to grimace and moaned, "Ewwwwww you guys are so gross, also, mom you lied! Dad is right here!" Reti skipped behind the twins, her tongue lolling as she sat poised in front of me.