The Perfect Birthday Gift (ioriku)

As Iori's birthday approaches, Riku wants to get him the perfect birthday gift.

Riku had spent hours roaming the mall, dedicated to his number one task: Finding Iori the perfect birthday gift.

Of course, it wouldn't be an easy task, he knew that for sure. Iori was a difficult person to get gifts for, to live with, and even to talk to.

Riku has on his red framed glasses and a white mask, a disguise to avoid being recognized, albeit a poor one. Though, he hasn't been recognized yet.

He stands in the middle of the mall, unsure of where to search first. He has his hands on his waist, deep in thought. He bites his lower lip and closes his eyes tightly, a habit of his for when he's run out of ideas. Finally, he snaps his fingers in sudden realization.

"I've got it!" He exclaims. A few people turn their heads. "Cool and sharp things! He likes that, doesn't he?"

Riku is blistering with excitement, grimacing beneath his mask. He breathes heavily, his glasses fog up, a result of his breathiness. He sighs, which only worsens the fog. He slips down his mask and removes his glasses, wiping them clean with the sleeve of his sweater.

"Hey..." A girl's voice. "Isn't that Nanase Riku?"

Riku perks up, quickly turning away. He runs off, pulling up his mask and putting the glasses back on.

After a few minutes of walking around, a stationary shop catches Riku's attention. He seems particularly intrigued by the cute pens on display at the front of the shop. He runs over, picking one up, he clicks it up and down repeatedly. The sound was appealing to his ears.

"I know he won't like it but..." Riku mutters, taking a handful of the colorful decorated pens. He then walks out of the shop having bought the pens, as well as other stationary. He sighs once more, quietly mumbling, "I couldn't resist."

This time, he was sure to find something very cool for Iori. Perhaps something techy or masculine. Nothing really came to mind. So, Riku glances at the shop windows, in search of something Iori might like.

A backpack that hangs inside a store appeals to him. But, it's neither cool nor sharp. In any case, it's cute and soft. Riku goes inside anyway, forgetting all about his main reason for coming to the mall. The backpack comes with a fluffy pink interior and a small plush keychain of a kitten. It was nothing Iori would even bother looking at. But, Riku buys it anyway.

In the next two hours, Riku has already spent all the money he'd brought.

He arrives back home by evening, exhausted. Hauling bags at the mall was no easy task.

The other members don't seem to be home. Riku takes this to his advantage, sitting on the couch which he had all to himself for now. He sets the bags down on the floor in front of him. He takes a deep inhale and then exhales loudly, slightly stressed and somewhat disappointed in himself for failing to find Iori a gift.

He sighs, "Why didn't I find anything?"

"Nanase-san, are you talking to yourself?"

Riku jumps, startled.

"Iori! You scared me, don't just pop out of nowhere like that."

Iori sits down on the couch beside him, "What did you mean when you said you couldn't find anything? Were you looking for something?"

Riku stammers, "I... I can't tell you. Not yet, at least."

"What were you looking for?"

Riku gave in to Iori's threatening aura.

"Fine, I'll tell you," he sighs dramatically. "I was looking for a birthday gift... for you. But, I couldn't find anything you would like. So, I got you a bunch of other things instead."

"I see..." Iori says. He seems pleased, or even pleasantly surprised. "Well, that's nothing to be upset about. Let me see them."

"But, it's not your birthday yet..."

"In a few hours, it will be."

"I guess you're right," Riku hands Iori a bag, which Iori takes from his hands. "I'm sorry, I know you only like cool and sharp things. But, for some reason, these made me think of you."

Iori holds the cutely decorated stationary in hand, staring at it for a long while. From animal stickers to a soft-cover notebook. His face turns pink. He looks away, covering his face with his hand, resisting a smile.

"Ah, Iori, are you mad?" Riku's voice grows high in concern. Sighing, he says, "I knew you wouldn't like it."

"It- It's not that," Iori mutters, hardly coherent. His ears redden and he can't resist the smile that he tries so hard to hide.

Riku pouts, highly upset. He closes his eyes tightly, deep in thought.

Finally, he brightens up, snapping his fingers, having had a sudden realization once again. "I've got it!"

Iori doesn't pay him any mind, his antics were always boisterous, though they were rather cute. Iori was too distraught by the cute backpack that he'd pulled from another bag. Again, his cheeks turn pink at the sight of it.

Riku moves in closer to him on the couch, catching Iori's attention. The two look at each other, gazing into each other's eyes. Before Iori has the time to question what he's up to this time, Riku has already made his move. Planting a kiss on Iori's cheek, a gentle one that doesn't last very long.

Iori is frozen in place, he grazes the spot on his cheek, reddening up. He's far too stiff to even try and hide it now. His voice is pitchy as he yells, "N-Nanase-san, what was that for?"

Riku tilts his head and smiles, "Your birthday gift!"

"My birthday gift?" Iori can barely speak without a stammer, his hands start to sweat. "What made you think I wanted that?"

"Well, you like cool and sharp things, right? Don't you think I'm both of those?"

"I really don't," he says bluntly. His hand is still stuck on the spot where Riku kissed him.

"So... you didn't like it?"

"Well," Iori's voice trails off. He looks to Riku, who makes his heart jump. "Don't worry, I like cute things, too."

---

a/n:

hope u enjoyed this ioriku one shot !! next chapter will be nagimitsu angst :3
also, i do take reqs & suggestions for this book :]