Chapter 14 - Surprise Office Visitor

The next day she walked out of the elevator and into the dark offices of the Steeley Marketing firm early in the morning. As usual she was the first one here, so she flipped on the lights and her heels clacked against the tile floor as she made her way down the long hall and flipped on the light of her office. 

She had a lot to do today, but at the top of her list was to start doing research for the Cavanaugh Beverage proposal. She sat at her desk and started up her laptop and I-pad, looking at her notes from last night. Memories of her kiss with Axel ran through her mind and she zoned out until a knock at her door startled her and she looked up to see the owner of the company, Mr. Tipton, in her doorway. He was in his early 60's and was a medium height and kind of stocky, wearing a very expensive but old fashioned suit. His once black hair was now mostly grey.

"Good morning Emma!" he said with his bright warm smile as he stepped into her office and took a seat at the chair in front of her desk. "You're the only other person besides me that ever comes in this early." 

He was one of those people that was rarely in a bad mood. He was very caring and treated his employees like family and that's what made this company feel like home and inspired his workers to do such amazing jobs for him. Everyone's number one goal here was to make him proud.

"How are things coming along with the Cavanaugh deal?" he asked. 

"Good. That's actually what I'm working on right now." She hesitated for a second before adding, "Axel told me he talked to you and requested for me to be put on this deal. If he hadn't," she asked, looking up and studying his eyes. "would you have chosen me for it?" 

He sat up and leaned forward, saying, "Yes of course. You're the best closer I've got Emma. You have a talent for creating proposals that fit exactly what the business needs like nobody else I've ever worked with. I can't even tell you how many calls I've gotten from business owners bragging on you and asking if you're a mind reader. You deserve this deal and don't let anybody else tell you otherwise kiddo."

"Thank you," she said with a sigh, slumping back in her chair. "I really needed to hear that." 

He smiled and said, "Well, it's the truth. I hate to run but I've got to go upstairs and call my wife back before she sends a search party after me." 

She laughed and gave him a smile as he walked out of her office. 

She turned back to her laptop and pulled up Google and started doing research on the beverage industry for the next few hours. She sat there so long that her back and feet hurt so she kicked off her high heels and massaged her sore neck, rolling her head from side to side. She was scrolling through the Cavanaugh marketing budget proposal on her laptop when there was a knock at her door.

"Come in," she called out, turning away from the screen and looking up to see her receptionist.

"Sorry to bother you Ms. Jacobs. There's a man here to see you and he didn't have an appointment. Do you have time to visit with him?"

She took a deep breath in and exhaled.

"Ummm. Sure. I can spare a little bit of time. Send him on back."

"Okay," the young receptionist smiled, closing the door behind her.

A minute later the door opened and a man entered that she recognized as Tyler Richardson, the guy on Axel's team that was in charge of Social Media & Branding. She instantly felt disappointment because she was really expecting it to be Axel. She couldn't get him off her mind all day.

Tyler was blonde, in his mid 20's and he wore black rimmed glasses and had on a blue button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a little yellow polka dotted brown bow tie. She noticed he had on blue socks with a design on them with brown khakis and penny loafers. It was obvious that he was a hipster. He was handsome and would be considered attractive if you went for that kind of guy.