Chapter 33 - Facing Mr. Tipton

***** Emma's Point of View - The Next Day *****

Emma sat on her couch in her pajamas eating popcorn with a big tub of cookie dough ice cream in her lap, watching a Food Network show where they had cake competitions. Sitting around here doing nothing and feeling sorry for herself was driving her crazy already but she was too depressed to get out and do anything.

 She needed to find a new job soon but she couldn't feel motivated yet to even look and she had more than enough money saved up in the bank to live off of for a while. She knew she was going to be taking a huge pay cut and demotion for any other company she'd go work for so she wasn't in a hurry to put herself out there yet. 

She wanted to wallow in self pity for a little while before she had to suck up her pride and accept a job she hated, making way less. She could just picture Mike Arnold and his wife Debbie celebrating him getting the partnership and that thought made her groan and slide down into the couch, covering her face with the blanket. 

 She laid there for a few minutes cocooned in the dark, hiding from the world until the phone on her lap lit up with a text. She picked it up and saw a text from Mr. Tipton. 

'Hey Emma. Can you meet me for dinner so we can talk?'

She took a deep breath in and let it out. Facing him after being caught lying was going to be so embarrassing and it spiked her social anxiety through the roof, but she knew she should swallow her pride and be a grown up about this. 

'Sure I can do that. When and where?

'L'Atelier on 5th & Patterson at 7:00. Does that work?'

'That's fine. I'll see you then.' 

That night she put on a nice red dress that hugged her curves and drove across town to the fancy French restaurant, giving her keys to the valet before she made her way inside. 

The restaurant was crowded and she could hear a clink of silverware and the hum of people talking, along with the sounds of the busy chefs coming from the kitchen. 

'I believe there's a reservation under Tipton," she told the maitre'd in a black and white tuxedo behind the podium at the entrance. 

"Yes," he said with a smile. "Mr. Tipton is waiting for you. Right this way," he said, leading her over to a table in the back room that was less crowded and a little quieter. The room had white linen table cloths and it was dimly lit with classical French music playing softly in the background and candles burning in the centerpiece. Mr. Tipton was sitting at a table with four chairs so she greeted him with a smile as she took the seat across from him. 

"Thank you for meeting with me Emma. I read your resignation letter and I wanted to talk to you about it."

"Ok. Let's talk about it then," she said, letting out a nervous exhale and shuffling in her seat. 

"Why did you do it? Why did you lie and say Axel was your fiance?"

"I'm actually not the one that came up with the lie. That day you met us outside the elevator Axel said he thought it was unfair that you wouldn't consider me for the partnership just because I'm single and don't have kids, even though I deserve that job. That's why he lied and told you he was my fiance and I was just as shocked about it as you were when he said it."

"Really?" he asked, sounding intrigued. "So you never talked to him about it before that? You didn't plan to lie?" 

"No, and looking back I know I should've spoken up when he said it and told you the truth but I do stand behind what he said though. I don't think it's fair that you felt like I didn't deserve the promotion just because I'm single and don't have kids. I'm the most qualified person to run that company and that should be enough."