Chapter 20 - Making Friends

"Would you quit drooling over the woman's man Debbie? I'm warning you, if you look at my husband like that we're gonna have problems," the woman next to Emma said laughing. 

Emma turned to her and said, "We haven't met but I like you already. I'm Emma." 

"I'm Imani," she said with a warm smile, reaching her hand out to shake and Emma shook it and smiled back. Imani was a black woman in her early 30's that was tall and thin, but curvy and very pretty. She wore her hair medium length with it's natural curl and her makeup was done to perfection and her nails were manicured. She looked like a model. 

"I love your name. It's so pretty. So which guy is yours?" Emma asked her. 

"Dante Allen's my husband. He's on the scouting team that searches for new companies to bring in. Do you know him?"

"I've seen him around but I don't think we've met. I've been at Steeley for 3 years but there are still a lot of people I don't know, so Mr. TIpton thought this week would be a perfect chance to do that."

"I think he's right," she smiled. "It looks like Dante and your fiance are getting along too." 

Emma turned and saw Axel talking to Dante and they were both laughing and smiling and looked like they were having a really good conversation. Dante was a really handsome black man in his early 30's that was always dressed extremely well at the office, in really nice tailored suits and he was very friendly and outgoing. Everyone at the office seemed to like him but she had never talked to him one on one because her department didn't work with the scouting team directly. She just worked with the client after they had already been brought in. 

"I think you're right. It looks like they're best friends already," Emma laughed. "Axel makes new friends really easy like that. I wish I had that talent." 

"Well starting today, you do," Imani said, hooking her arm into Emma's. Then she leaned in and whispered in her ear. "I'm hanging out with you this week because you seem nice and not crazy. I can't stand most of these other women." 

Emma smiled and whispered, "Same" and they both laughed.  

"So how long have you and Dante been together?" 

"Since sophomore year of high school. He's actually the only guy I've ever dated, kissed, slept with, anything. I just never wanted anybody else. The instant I met him I knew he was the one for me and I was never even tempted by anybody else. He's my first and only love," she said, smiling over at him with adoration in her eyes. 

"Awww. That's really sweet," Emma said, looking over at Axel and wishing they had been the same way. She wished he would've given her a chance back in high school and gone to Prom with her instead of worrying about what his friends would think. Maybe if he had they would've already been married by now like Imani and Dante. 

"We still have a little time before our flight. Do you want to walk with me to Starbuck's and get a coffee? I want to hear all about you and your fiance," Imani said. 

"Yeah. Coffee actually sounds great right now," she smiled. 

As they sipped their coffees in the little cafe in the airport terminal Emma told Imani about how her and Axel had gone to high school together and didn't like each other at all back then. She told her everything except for the fact that their engagement was fake just to get her the promotion. There was no way she was going to tell anyone that. 

They talked for a long time, making each other laugh and she found out they had so much in common. Imani was the shy, quiet type in school too and she had also grown up with a single parent. She was raised by her Mom and grandma. Emma told her about losing her Mom and her Dad becoming an alcoholic and how hard it was back then.