Chapter 19 - Going to the Airport

***** The Next Morning *****

Emma heard a knock at her door so she pushed her wheeled suitcase over that way and propped it against the wall before opening the door to see Axel standing there, leaning against the door frame wearing a pair of dark sunglasses. 

Seeing him standing there looking so gorgeous made her stomach do a flip and she smiled. This man literally always looked hot, even dressed casual in the dark jeans and tight black t-shirt he was wearing that showed his tall, strong frame and his long, lean muscles. He ran a hand through his black hair and gave her a smile that made her insides melt as he walked past her and into her condo. 

"Good morning beautiful," he said, leaning down and giving her a soft kiss.  

"Good morning," she smiled. "I went out and got coffee for us. I bet it'll be a few days before we can get a decent cup of coffee again. Apparently this lodge we'll be staying at is in the middle of nowhere."

She handed him his coffee and he shot her a smile and said, "Thank you. I actually got you something too. After we got done shopping last night and I dropped you off, I swung by the jewelry store."  

"You did?" she asked, surprised. 

"Yeah. If people are gonna believe you're my fiance you need an engagement ring," he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small black velvet box. He popped it open to reveal a huge, beautiful sparkling diamond ring. 

She gasped. 

"Axel! That's beautiful!" she said. "Please tell me that's not a real diamond."

"Of course it's a real diamond. You think I would buy you a fake one?" he laughed.

"Well yeah. Since I'm your fake fiance. This ring must've cost a fortune," she said shaking her head. "I can't let you spend that much money on me."

"I wanted to," he said, slipping the ring out of the box and taking her hand in his. He took her left hand and slid the ring down her finger and her heart started to flutter and beat faster. That ring looked so perfect on her finger. 

She moved her fingers back and forth and watched how the large diamond sparkled in the light. 

"I've never been ring shopping before so I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I thought that one looked like something you would like though."

She looked at it in awe. It wasn't until that very moment, seeing that beautiful engagement ring on her finger and the feeling it gave her, that it hit her. She realized that she wanted a real engagement one day. She had always been so focused on her career and getting ahead that she hadn't worried about falling in love and finding someone to spend her life with, but she really wanted both. She didn't want to spend her life all alone. 

She looked down at it and swallowed hard, blinking away the tears that were starting to form in her burning eyes. That ring was perfect. She only wished it was from a real fiance.

"You okay?" he asked, breaking her out of the trance she was under. 

She blinked a few times and then composed herself and said, "Yeah. I'm fine. I was just thinking how beautiful this ring is. You did a good job picking it out."

"Thank you. I hoped you would like it," he said with a smile. Then he grabbed her suitcase and started wheeling it out the door and down the hall. 

"Are you coming or what?" she heard him yell from the hallway and she grabbed up her bags and headed out the door, locking it behind her. 

"I'm coming," she said, with a smile, walking down the hallway towards him where he stood holding the elevator open for her. 

"Took you long enough," he teased with a smirk, leaning in and giving her a kiss as she got into the elevator beside him. "I think that ring is weighing you down and making you slower."