Chapter 24

Romeo rubbed at his eyes as hard as he could, willing his tears to stop flowing.

He started out walking slowly but when he started hearing noises in alleyways he decided to pick up his pace to a jog and when he started hearing shouts he went into a full on sprint.

Thankfully he knew the route home like the back of his hand since he followed it back after selling almost every day.

He reached the door of the Lodging House and felt exhaustion start to come over him.

Exhaustion from running, crying and just being up very early and it then being quite late in the evening.

He opened it, trying to be as quiet as possible.

He guessed all the Newsies would be asleep or at least in the bunk room since there was selling the next morning, hence him trying to be as quiet as possible.

When he walked from the door into the living area, he was met with Jack with a very excited look on his face.

Jack jumped up and rushed over towards the tired and upset boy.

"How was the-" he stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the tear streaks on Romeo's face. "What happened? Is everything okay?"

Romeo shook his head and ran straight to Jack who pulled him into a tight embrace.

"Shush, it's all going to be okay. I promise," he whispered as he rubbed circles onto Romeo's back.

Romeo sobbed into Jack's shoulder and shook his head while whispering things to himself that Jack couldn't understand.

"I did something stupid," he explained once he'd calmed down.

Jack nodded, not knowing how to answer, and brushed some loose strands of hair out of his face.

"It doesn't matter what you did, it isn't going to be that stupid," Jack reassured him.

Romeo shook his head and fought down a sob he felt rising.

"I broke up with him," he explained before burying his head in Jack's shoulder again as sobs came over him. "I broke up with Specs."

Jack frowned and started rubbing circles on his back again. He whispered to Romeo in an attempt to calm him down again.

"Do you want to talk about it or do you just want someone to be there for you?" he asked.

Romeo nodded and Jack wanted to ask him which one he wanted, it was a multiple choice question after all and a nod doesn't answer it but when he made no move to start talking he figured it was the latter.

He brought Romeo over to one of the couches and got him to sit down beside him.

"Are you tired?" Romeo nodded and leaned towards Jack. "Okay, we'll sleep down here so we don't wake the other boys."

Jack lay down and pulled Romeo on top of himself and rested Romeo's head on his chest.

Jack hummed a lullaby to calm Romeo down and brushed his fingers through his hair.

Romeo drifted asleep quickly with a smile on his face at the comfort he got from Jack's presence.

Jack fell asleep quickly soon after.

They stayed like that throughout most of the night, Romeo only woke a few times during the night but quickly fell back asleep when Jack, who was most often woken up too, started playing with his hair again.

~~~
558 words