Chapter 28

TW: Abuse and mentions of death.

Specs looked up from where he'd been pulled onto the floor and flung his leg out at the man.

His leg was caught in a strong grip and pulled hard, not enough to cause any real damage but hard enough to make it hurt.

"I told you that you have to do as i say or else, didn't I?" his father asked in a low voice. Specs nodded. "Now you'll see what happens when you don't do that."

The man brought his foot down to kick Specs' stomach.

Specs curled himself into a ball to prevent any further kicks coming his way.

When he didn't feel anything coming in his direction he peaked out from behind his hands and saw his father walking away.

He quickly stood up and brushed himself off before walking back towards his room.

"Why are you going back upstairs? Why don't you stay down here and we can do something together?" he asked.

Specs nodded, not wanting to anger the man after seeing what would happen if he did.

The man lead him into the living room with two armchairs and a couch. There was a small mantle over what Specs presumed was once a fireplace but was now boarded up.

Overall it wasn't too bad of a living room, in Specs opinion, there were some shelves with fancy looking ornaments but Specs guessed that some of them may have been fake.

He walked over to the armchair nearest the door so that if the situation called for it he could be up and out quicker than his father could reach him.

They sat in an awkward silence in which Specs seriously considered getting up and returning back to the room.

The silence was finally broken by his father. "What do you like to do?" he asked.

Specs shrugged and looked down at the carpet beneath his seat. In that moment it was quite possibly the most interesting thing he'd ever seen in his life.

"I like hanging out with my brothers," he said after thinking about it for a few minutes. "Romeo especially."

"I don't see why you have only male friends. How are you going to find a good wife if you only associate with men?" his father asked.

Specs laughed a bit before noticing the very serious look on his father's face. "Oh, you're serious. Well, I haven't gotten a chance to consider marriage since I've been a bit busy trying to make a living so I don't die," he said harshly. "There's no point worrying about marriage if you won't be alive to see it."

Specs looked up at his father from the spot he had been looking at on the floor, expecting him to be angry.

He was surprised to see a look of sadness on the man's face. "I promise that you'll never have to worry about not having enough money ever again."

Specs nodded and smiled lightly. "Thank you," he said.

His father smiled and put his hand on Specs' knee.

"Of course. We have to go out today and buy some things. There's some clothes for you in the wardrobe," he explained before standing up.

"What's wrong with the clothes I have?" Specs asked in a defensive tone.

He really did not appreciate that his clothes were being made fun of.

"Nothing is wrong with them just the ones up there may fit you better." He walked over to Specs and looked him over. "Your suspenders should still be okay though."

Specs nodded and walked to the room where he found the wardrobe to be almost fully full with clothes.

He walked back to the living room, with his book, where his father was sitting waiting for him.

They left quickly soon after to do buy whatever his father needed to buy.

~~~
643 words