Chapter 30

As Specs strolled after his father who, much to Specs surprise, walked very fast for a man of his age.

It would be a lie if Specs were to say that he struggled to keep up, it was quite easy considering Specs was a lot younger, spent most days on his feet and was a bit taller but he was preoccupied.

He couldn't walk in a straight line since his head was going in all different directions trying to find a Newsie.

He was worried that if he did see one that they mightn't recognise him seen as he looked completely different in his new clothes.

Everything about him had changed, his hat, his shirt, trousers, and shoes. He even had to wear a tie and a suit jacket.

He'd only ever dreamed of getting to wear those. He mostly dreamed that he would wear them on his wedding day with Romeo.

Of course hoping to marry Romeo was somewhat far fetched seen as they weren't even allowed to date, or just be gay for that fact, but he still dreamed about it.

He had the entire thing planned out in his head.

He would wear a black suit with a blueish-green tie. He wasn't going to say what Romeo would wear but if he knew him like he did he suspected it might be something similar.

They'd have it in a big country house, he didn't know where exactly it would be but he just really wanted a country house.

Davey would officiate the wedding and Jack would walk him down the aisle.

He wouldn't bother with having a best man since he would have to choose one Newsie over the others and he couldn't do that.

Instead they would all have something to do in the ceremony along with Katherine, Sarah and Miss Medda.

He already had the entirety of his vows to Romeo memorised in the back of his head and sometimes he would run back over them and make any edits to them.

If she was okay with it, Miss Medda would perform at the reception and they would have enough money to hire a band.

The reception would go entirely to plan and not so much as a fraction off of it.

They would dance all night and be with all of their brothers and they would all be happy and nobody, absolutely nobody, could do anything to change that.

The night would end with the two of them surrounded by their closest friends and family before they retired to their rooms for the evening.

Specs quickly realised that he'd fallen a fair amount behind his father and started to try catch up with him as casually as he could when a hat caught his eye. He could have told the hat from a mile away.

He breathed a sigh of relief and caught up with his father. "Could I have a dime?" he asked apprehensively.

His father look at him confused for a moment but handed it to him nonetheless.

"What do you need it for?"

Specs looked over to where he'd seen the hat to make sure they hadn't moved too far away.

"Just to buy a newspaper," he explained. "I'll be over and back as quickly as I can."

His father waved his hand, telling him to go on.

Specs walked in the direction he'd seen the hat in and once he was out of his father's eye line he bolted.

"Race," he shouted to the boy.

Race turned around at the sound of his name and smiled at seeing Specs. His smile quickly turned into a frown when he saw what Specs was wearing.

"Specs, what's wrong? Why are you dressed like that?"

~~~
625 words