Chapter 33

Specs' father had dragged him around all of New York getting 'supplies'.

What they were supplies for Specs had no idea but he seemed it better to not question it.

After having been out for the best part of three hours, Specs thought they were finally starting to go back to the house.

Instead his father started dragging him off in a completely different direction.

"Where are we going?" Specs asked, he knew his way around New York fairly well but he knew at that point they probably weren't just taking a shortcut.

"There's someone I want you to meet. I think you'll like her," the man said.

Specs nodded and followed after him.

They walked for a few minutes before arriving at a house of a similar size to the one they'd been living in.

Specs looked at his father in confusion as he walked up to the door and knocked on it.

"I want you to be on your best behaviour in here, these are the type of people we want to marry so don't mess this up for us," he whispered angrily.

Specs wanted to ask him a million questions but the clicking of the door's lock made him just nod.

The door swung open to a man of a similar height and build of his father.

He smiled and let the pair into the house where Specs' father directed him towards what Specs presumed to be the living room.

He walked in to see a girl about his age sitting on a two person couch beside the door.

Specs smiled awkwardly at her and waved. She waved back with an equally awkward smile.

Specs was going to ask her if she knew what was happening when're man from the door and his father walked in.

"I see you've both gotten associated with each other, good," the man said with a strangely evil looking smile.

Specs rolled his eyes at the man. "We just met two second ago, we haven't even spoken a word to each other so I don't know why you'd think we're associated with each other."

The man glared at Specs which probably was an attempt to make him look scary but Specs just thought he looked constipated.

His father sent a warning glance in his direction, telling him fairly straight what would happen if he were to speak out of turn again.

"As I was saying," the man started with a look aimed at Specs. "It's best you get to know each other seen as you are to be married on New Year's Eve, it's a Sunday so you will be married after morning mass."

Specs rolled his eyes and looked at the girl, expecting her to have much of a similar reaction.

She had a completely opposite reaction, a polite smile on her face and a blush on her cheeks, though Specs suspected that it wasn't real blush.

Specs turned towards his father. "Why are you making me marry? I'm sixteen and you just met me," Specs shouted angrily.

"Samuel, do not talk to me like that," his father said in a dangerously calm tone.

"My name isn't Samuel. I've told you this before, it's Specs," Specs argued.

An angry look passed his father's face before he went back to a neutral face.

"Samuel, if I may speak to you outside," his father said.

Before Specs had time to argue he was grabbed by the wrist and dragged into the hall.

~~~
581 words