Ch-11 Friends in Need

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allaah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.'

- Aameen.

Chapter Eleven

Friends in Need

When George arrived at their usual haunt, a shabby chic place that served delicious food, he felt that it had been a long time since they had all been here.

Shrugging off his coat, he joined Wilson who was already seated at their familiar table.

"Hey man," George said to Wil's nod.

"Where's Alex?" he inquired sitting opposite to Wil.

"You called him here?" Wil's tone was sceptical.

George pretended to not hear the real question, "Of course, I messaged. Like always;"

"So, what was the emergency?"

"I... actually," George stalled. "Let Alex come too," he said smiling. "How's your family been? Mo and the kiddo?"

"They're good. Just busy everyone."

George nodded and looked around casually. It felt like so long since they had come but the place still remained the same. He saw Web, the proprietor shouting at somebody, the waiters with their dishes ducking and getting around the crowd almost like a synchronised dance, and behind the heat and din he could hear the soft beats of country music. There was a couple sitting at the next table and George saw that both were engrossed in their phones.

"I wonder whether he would come," Wil voiced their thoughts, idly flipping through the menu. "It would be just like Alex...to be unforgiving."

"But, we were lousy friends," George protested feeling guilty. "We didn't go to the wedding... and after that we never..."

"Alex should have known how it would be... everything changed the day when he decided to convert to that religion."

George remained silent. His glance took in the couple who seemed to be arguing something in subdued tones.

"Oh, there he is." George's tensed face broke into a happy smile.

With his coat on his arm, collar loosened, the familiar stern features looked tired as Alex made his way towards their table. Yet George noted how he still exuded unconscious authority.

Alex came and halted near the table, his gaze going from Wilson to George.

The surprising thing was how those blue eyes were not icy or distant in hauteur, but merely searching something in the faces of his (so-called) friends.

"Hey," George began uneasily, "How...how are you?"

Alex who had been staring at Wil, as if he was waiting for something to be said, perhaps an apology, seemed to accept that nothing would be forthcoming as Wil gazed back coolly, his lips pressed into a thin disapproving line.

Placing his coat on a chair, Alex sat next to George who felt that the beginning was not going good, because Alex had always sat beside Wil in their previous meetings.

"I'm good," he replied to George's question. "And you look like hell."

Wilson raised his brows at this astute observation. Only those who were really close to George would have seen the haggardness in his eyes.