Ch-5 Breaking Barriers

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.'

- Aameen.

Chapter Five

Breaking Barriers

"Oh God, not again," Sophia muttered and swore as she ducked from view and tried to meld with the others. But when you are a top model and beautifully made up for the day, it's like being a smiling sunflower in the field of demure poppies.

"This is for you ma'am," said the little girl with a toothy grin.

"You can have it," Sophia reluctantly smiled back, not accepting the solitary red rose.

The girl shook her head, opening her eyes wide. "Oh no, my mummy would get mad, it's not for me," she giggled. "That wonderful man said you would accept it if I present it and mum thought it so romantic. It is isn't it?"

Sophia thought it was cliché, and wished that the stupid man would stop with his silly 'romantic' gestures.

She was ready to leave this country but her designer Mattie had thrown an impromptu party to announce her engagement with her boyfriend Ron who had suddenly proposed in a moonlit fairy tale like night, only they both had been drunk and raving and nothing was captured on camera, so the party was being held this night in a garden where Ron would repeat his proposal.

Mattie had wanted Sophia to be there in the list of few guests and Kim her manager had seen it as a very good opportunity not to be missed.

As evening advanced, Sophia dawdled in the cafe where she sat sipping her health drink, not wanting to go to this 'proposal party'. She knew she was being jealous... there had been only a few men in her life whom she had liked, and even fewer who had dated her, and no one who had ever proposed to her, wanting to marry her, to spend their whole life with her.

Sophia sighed, like always pushing these sentimental thoughts and feelings deeper into the hole in her heart as she stood up steeling herself, familiar courage rising up tiredly yet ready once again to face this world one more day.

"Sophia wait," George called after her and she stilled, tensing. Amidst laughter and giggles, the perfect proposal had finally taken place, all duly recorded and the party now was in full swing, people gathering around the tables for the food but most were either smoking high or getting drunk and Sophia who had been searching for Mattie to excuse herself now turned and watched this approaching guy who gave her no peace.

He gave her his deliberate fascinating grin. "I thought you had left,"

"I would have if you hadn't stopped me," Sophia said, her gaze back on the crowd not wanting to dwell on her tripping heart. George laughed yet wondered why this woman couldn't see he was being sincere.

"Are you searching for someone? May I help?"

Sophia slightly shook her head. "It would be a great help if you would leave me alone."

George grinned not a bit ashamed. "Ah but what could a man do if you refused to speak to me?"

She averted her face and began to move towards the group where she spied Mattie and Ron. George stepped in beside her easily.

"Should I apologize? But I'm glad to have met you Sophia," His hand came to rest gently on her arm, sending gossamer shivers down her spine. "This weekend I'm giving a treat to Mattie and Ron, Steve and Kat are included too. I ... it would be wonderful if you could come... nothing private, we would be a party of six and Kim said you would agree if I ask you out once more -"

"He said that?" her elegantly shaped brows rose in slight derision.

"Not exactly," the deep blue eyes twinkled in appreciation. "But third time is lucky you see."

"I did not agree."

"But you haven't refused either," He pointed out, grinning crookedly.

"That's because I would be back home by then,"

"Oh," He blinked in surprise and something urgent tugged inside him making him almost beg, "But Kim said he could rearrange..."

Sophia's walk turned brisk. "Please Mr Benedict, leave me alone,"

But he didn't, he came back all the way as she congratulated the couple and then excused herself, and now waited for the cab to arrive answering his questions in monosyllables.

"Do you have a headache?" his voice softened noting the way she pressed her fingers around her temples.

"It's because of all your chatter," she muttered and he stood dismayed, a flush of embarrassment rising in his face. Seeing which her heart chided and Sophia gave a tiny smile in apology.

"You remind me of my elder sisters," He immediately chuckled. "They rag me too..."

"You have sisters?" Sophia felt herself becoming captured, if only momentarily.

"Three," George revealed with distaste, "I call them Macbeth's Witches," He confided wryly yet with a sudden painful yearning she read the fondness behind the assumed grimace.

"And a brother too," he added with a shrug. "I'm the last in our family."

"The baby?" she felt her lips twitch again.

He mock-shuddered, "Don't remind me," But he caught her little smile and felt as if he could dance in the air.

The smile vanished before it could surface and he saw her slightly stiffen. He glanced up and saw Phoebe and some other girls coming towards them. He swore softly. Sophia heard him and gave a queer imperturbable glance.

"George darling we have missed you so much," Phoebe's dulcet tones grated on his nerves. "Where did you disappear?"

They surrounded him before he had a chance to speak, and when he looked in her direction, Sophia was no more by his side. This time, he swore aloud.

***