CHAPTER TWO ━━ TRUCE WITH DESTINY

.

"There is nowhere you can be
that isn't where you're meant to be"

CHAPTER TWO ━━ TRUCE WITH DESTINY

RAGE IS LIKE FIRE. It builds slowly like a dull feeling at the pit of your stomach but then the flames grow to the point that they become insatiable – devouring everything in their way. It is like a candle, the flame burns the wick melting everything around it. It swallows you whole, takes over your mind, it blinds you. Your hearts pounds, your head pounds over and over, then you hear the bones crack. They're not your own, the blood on your knuckles isn't either.

That's exactly how Zhang Mei felt, when she lost to Huang Li for the fifth time that day. Her body ached with shame (and rage).

Her Jian, ironically, lay at the feet of Master Cheng who was looking at Zhang Mei with a disdained look on his face. The girl lay on the ground, Huang Li's sword dangerously close to her throat.

"And they say you're one of us" Huang Li scoffed; triumph clear in her eyes.

These words echoed in Mei's ears – you're not worthy.

Mei pulled herself to her feet, wiping off sweat from her forehead, taking shallow breathes. She won't give up just yet. She glared at Huang Li as they both assumed a high guard, and threw an overhand cut. Huang Li parried quickly, reflexively.

Zhang Mei's wrath still smoldered at being called unworthy, she cut and thrust at Huang Li relentlessly, driving her around the ring, never letting her gain her balance. Li fought back desperately and tried to counter, but Mei pressed without yielding, never giving up initiative. A lot of villagers had gathered around at the sight of the two girls fighting. It was quite a turn of events because Huang Li seldom looked helpless, especially during a sword fight. The two warriors exchanging blows, slashing and parrying, until Zhang Mei seemed to get tired and her Jian sagged. Taking advantage of the situation, Huang Li raised her sword to deliver the final blow, but it had been a ruse and Mei's blade came up in a lightning thrust straight to Li's heart.