A DYING MAN'S WISH

The dying husband did not look elated to see him back in the bedroom as Tay imagined he would. He glared, rolled away, and draped the blankets over his head. The food Yllen brought in earlier was still lidded and untouched.

"Come on Thitipoom," he pulled his sleeves up to his elbows. Sat by his husband's side. "You have to eat."

"I don't have to do anything, you're not the boss of me." Though his voice was weak, the petulance was conveyed.

Tay took the lid off the chicken broth and lifted the bowl onto his lap. "You have to eat to get some of your energy back."

New sneezed in response. He tugged the blanket higher until the last strand of hair disappeared.

"I'll feed you." Tay volunteered.

The sick man pulled down the blanket inch by inch. Then turned around. "And kiss me on the forehead?"

"No."

"Then I won't eat."

Tay grabbed the blanket before it fully went over his head again. "Okay okay, I will."

New's smile was interrupted by a hacking cough. Tay took pity on him and filled the cup with some warm water from the thermos. He held it to his husband's lips.

"I hate this," New complained when the coughing ceased. "My head hurts, my bones feel weak, I ache all over."

"I'm sorry," Tay said and realized that he meant it. New was a pain in the ass but he didn't want him to suffer. "Here, have some food. It'll help."

"When will you kiss me?"

"After you've had your food." He held the spoon to New's lips.

"What if you don't kiss me after I've eaten?"

"And if you refuse to eat after I kiss you?"

"I won't do that."

"You've lied about more serious things."

New pushed himself up to a sitting position and leaned back against the headboard. He looked like it took a lot out of him. "Okay, food first." He parted his lips for the food. Grimaced. Held it in his mouth for a long time. Then swallowed with a wince.

"I can't, Tay. Please." He squeezed his face. His breathing came out as if he ran a marathon.

"Just a few more. You can do it. Then you get your kiss."

New's eyes held his. Tay almost laughed at the determined look that overcame his face. He nodded once and opened his mouth again. He swallowed the next spoon down quickly.

"Good boy."

"I'm a man." He argued but a blush rose to his pale cheeks. He opened up for the third time.

New shook his head after the 6th spoonful. His eyes drooped. He had struggled to keep them open for too long. "Tay, enough. Enough please".

Tay allowed him to sink back into the bed without a fight. Rather than the millions of pillows around, New chose his lap to rest his head. Tay set the bowl back onto the tray. He glanced down at his husband. The sick man's eyes were now firmly closed.

Thitipoom's charm only amplified when he was incapacitated. Read: when he was not trying to annoy the pants off him. Tay brushed the sweaty strands on his forehead back. He chuckled to himself when New caught the hand and pressed it to his neck.

"Warm," he sighed.

"You said it was too cold a few minutes ago."

"Now it's warm," His eyes were still closed. Tay's hand looked strange against the sickly skin. He stroked the folds on New's neck with his thumb.