Chapter Twenty Seven

Ava

My hand writes out all the information from the interview I had with Katrina Meyers, making my list of people for questioning. My main suspect is easily her step-brother, simply due to his passive comments towards her in the past.

I begin to look up the addresses of each of my suspects and my eyebrows furrow when I can't find Marcus Olsen's friend, Anthony Vance. Then I decide to look at police reports and find one, clicking it and reviewing it.

Anthony Vance, 30 years old, serving a 20-year sentence in prison for sexual assault. I sigh and cross his name off the list, but still weary due to the gravity of the situation. If he's done it once, he can do it again. At least he's not the one who harmed Katrina.

My eyes read through background checks on all of the men whom Katrina had mentioned in the interview. Her ex-boyfriend and her Tinder date are not in the system, but the fraternity boy is for two underage alcohol infractions. Not surprising for a frat boy.

I take down the information of each of the boys and write them out, forming an idea of what to do.

A knock on my door sounds and the Chief walks in, my attention diverting to him.

"You know what time it is," he grins, handing me an envelope. I smile, opening it up and taking out the invitation.

"Marnie's going all out this year," I grin, his wife always throwing a Christmas party. It's the party of the century in my book.

"She knows how to throw them. Loves having people over and hosting them. She mentioned she misses you," he tells me, and I twitch my lips in a smile.

"I'll be there. No doubts about it," I tell him, and he sends a smile my way before leaving the office. He walks to Harry's and I see him retrieve an envelope like mine to give to him. They talk for a while, so I turn my attention to the notes I'd been taking previously.

Just as I'm finishing up for the night, Harry walks into my office and hands me a sheet of paper.

"Here is the file on Katrina Meyers. Was looking it over and needed to give it back to you," he tells me, and I nod.

"Thank you," I say, his head nodding. He walks out and I pack up for the night, waving to Harry as I walk out.

My phone rings on my way out and I see it's Michael, my thumb gliding across the screen to answer.

"What's up Michael?" I ask, unlocking my car.

"Fancy a drink?" he asks, and I grin.

"Sure, I'll be there in ten," I tell him, hanging up the phone. I drive down the street and make it to my house, changing into something more appropriate for Lou's. Low cut top, black jeans, and a pair of boots. I grab my jean jacket and walk down to my car, steering the direction of the bar.

My mind flickers back to Katrina and it was good to see her interact with Harry. It almost looked like two friends talking; smiling and laughing as if they've known each other for years. What had taken me by surprise was what their conversation had entailed. Katrina had managed to get Harry to ask me out, and it made me panic. I didn't know what they spoke about, how the conversation spiraled to such a topic, and I hung up the phone so fast.

The lingering fear that Harry talked about what we've done has been toying with my mind throughout the day, but I know Harry's smarter than that. It's a dangerous path we're going down, but I think I've already went too deep.

I park and walk up to the bar, Beck watching the door. He smiles at me and moves his arm up, my arm wrapping around his waist.

"How are you Ava?" he asks, my arm moving off him.