Chapter Forty Three

Harry

I hold a box in my hand and I knock on the door, waiting for Ava to answer. She had told me to come over to her house for Christmas, rather than mine. After I had told her I wanted to cook for her, she claimed she owed me one for waking me up last night. I assured her I didn't mind, but she insisted.

The scream she had in her sleep was enough to make anyone immediately worried. I had never seen her so vulnerable, so scared. It took all of my strength to wake her up, holding her wrists to get her to stop pushing me away. My mind was so focused on making sure she was okay that I had no idea what to even say after she woke up. She had to collect herself from the vivid memory of her father's murder, and there was nothing I could say to get her back on track. It was all her.

"Hi Harry," she grins, opening the door. Her eyes fall to the box in my hand and she frowns, looking into my eyes. "I said no gifts."

"I didn't promise anything," I wink, and she rolls her eyes. She invites me in and I hand her the box, her hands holding it closely.

"Don't shake it. It's fragile," I point, and she bites her lower lip. I shrug off my coat and take light grasp of her chin, her gray eyes looking up at me. Her lip is released and she smiles, leaning up so I can kiss her.

"Thank you. I didn't get you anything though," she mumbles against my lips.

"I don't care," I whisper, kissing her once more. I let her go and I walk into the house, following after her. I set my coat on the kitchen chair and take a seat at her counter, her hands setting the box on the granite.

"I'm nervous," she shakily laughs, pulling the ribbon off. I can't help but smile, watching the beautiful woman opening the box.

I hadn't put a lot of thought into the gift, simply because we're not in a relationship. All I wanted was to show her I remember small things about her; little details from prior conversations.

Ava lifts the top of the box and her eyes fall to what's inside, her eyes taking it in. She doesn't say a word and lifts out the small bowl, removing the small lid.

"Oh my fuck," she whispers, and I smile.

"You said you never had a pet. So I got you one," I remind her. I recalled joking with her about getting a fish, so I got her one. It barely cost me over a dollar, but I figured it was the thought that counts. It was one of the first conversations we had together outside of work.

"Harry," she breathes out, looking at the small goldfish in the bowl. The look on Ava's face is a gift in and of itself. She's glowing, and happiness pools over her features. She walks over to me and wraps her arms around my neck, hugging me to her closely.

"Thank you so much. Honestly, this is one of the most thoughtful presents I've ever gotten," she admits to me, her head lifting. Her hands set on my shoulders and I hold her waist, looking up at her.

"Merry Christmas Nicks," I tell her, her gray eyes so bright.

"Merry Christmas Harry," she smiles, leaning down and pressing a chaste kiss to my lips. I let her go and she moves back into the kitchen.

"I'm making chicken and pasta with a vodka sauce. Sound good?" she asks, moving to the stove top. Watching her in a domestic setting is a breath of fresh air. Ava looks so relaxed, and I'm obsessed with it.

"Sounds good to me," I say, rubbing my hands together and setting my elbows on the counter.

I watch Ava as she cooks, her hair long and curled lightly. She has an oversized sweater and jeans on, fitting her curves perfectly. There is no woman in the world that could come close to looking as flawless as she does, right now, in this moment.