stare

- 10:39, brighton.

eyes closed, book in hand, listening to the constant waves bashing against the sand, people screaming, laughing even singing. back pressed against the stone wall while the ocean breeze hits her face, earphone plugged in one ear listening to her favourite playlist.

two eyes stare at the girl from my left side, she opens her eyes and turns slowly revealing a man with piercing green eyes staring at her with a blank expression, his hair reflecting a dark blonde colour from the lamppost above us, she ignores him looking back at the late night swimmers.

the man still stares, she turns taking her earphone out of her ear "are you challenging me to a staring contest or have i got something on my face?" the girl asks in a tone.

he chuckles "sorry? i was just staring at your beauty."

she scoffs "how cliche" she says turning her head looking back at the horizon.

she decides to break the awkward silence "so what brings you to brighton?" the girl asks in a more polite tone.

"what tells you i'm not from here" he asks back sarcastically.

"your american accent" she replys.

he chuckles awkwardly turning away from her;
"i think it's pretty" she blurts out.

"gheez take me on a date first" he replies jokingly.

"if we're going to be cliche, isn't the 'man' supposed to ask?"

he mumbles something before turning back to her.

"i can't take a girl on a date that i don't even know the name of" he says with his piercing eyes staring into hers once again.

"you're not very good at asking questions are you?" she replys cockily.

he scoffs again "i guess i'm not, so what's your name, ocean girl?"

the girl begins writing in my book sitting in her lap; " it's olivia."

"mines clay" he replies quickly.

"i didn't ask." olivia says back jokingly.

before he could reply, olivia stood up, "well i better get going clay, it's getting pretty dark." she then passes him a folded up note, which he takes watching her walk away into the into the distance, journal in hand, patterned tote bag over her shoulder and her earphones dangling out her phone.

clay looks out onto the dark sea, playing with the note in his hand before opening it:

when you finally get balls
to ask me out on that date
text me, pretty boy.
xxxxx xxxxxx
- o

he then stood up against the stone wall, dusting the sand off his jeans before walking into the distance aswell.

- 442 words
- written on the 07/09

- thank you for all the support on my first book <3