Seeing Red

"Where are we?" Crash asks in the dark. Morphy turns on the lights, they are in an industrial kitchen in the back of a restaurant. "London." Morphy says and opens the back door. "How'd you do that?" Crash looks around- shocked to find the new surroundings, one minute he was in a field in Spain and now a kitchen in London. "Magic is not just for witches."

They leave the restaurant finding themselves in the busy streets of night-time London. Morphy takes a Gatsby hat from his back pocket and puts it on, disguising himself as a very short man. "How do we find Olson?" Jane asks Morphy. The gnome looks up at her, "You're asking me? Isn't your seer good for anything?" Anne is struck by a sudden shame, her only contribution was a two minute warning in the Hotel, if she'd seen something sooner, Belle may still be alive.

"What about your magic? You can't locate Olson with it?" Nathan asks.

"I could but it would take time, the seer is faster." Morphy tells him.

Anne steps back "Me? No I can't, my... gift, it's random I have no control over what I see or feel-"

"Of course you do, this is why no one takes humans seriously." Morphy says. "You have complete control, you've just never tried to harness it before."

"You can show me how?" Anne asks.

"I can and I will."

..............................

"Do you have everything you need?" Olson asks her. Lilly sits in the middle of Olson's living room in his apartment, herbs and candles burning all around her.

"Yeah I think so, it's been a while since I tried a locator spell but it's pretty basic."

"Hurry, if Risser gets to them-"

"No, he won't, I can do it, I'll find them but, it's just- what happens when I do?"

"I have a plan." He says.

She closes her eyes and starts the spell. The blank papyrus in front of her begins forming lines and names, streets and rivers, a map. She opens her eyes and reads it.

"They're here." she says startled.

"Here?" He asks, eager and confused.

"In the city."

..............................

"Where exactly?" Jane asks Anne who feels the tugging and pulling in her chest like she's never felt it before. "South." Anne says and starts walking. "Let it come naturally," Morphy tells Anne, "your instincts are telling you what you want to know, just follow them." Nathan stops as he looks into a bar with a large flat-screen hanging over the counter. The TV is broadcasting the news. A hundred cars burning on a highway. "Risser." Nathan says.

"Are you sure?" Jane asks as she comes back to his side.

"It's him. He's coming."

"We have to move."

"No, he just wants me."

"No! You're not gonna leave us!"

"I have to-"

"He's too powerful!"

"I can slow him down enough for you to find your Watcher. There's no use arguing, I don't know what else I can do to help you anymore- between the prophecy- Risser- I don't know how to protect you... I can't protect you. So I'll do this. I'll slow him down. It's all I have to give you."

Jane shakes with regret. She knows there is no other way. At the bridge with Jack, before it all went to hell, all she wanted to do was get Nathan, tell him not to fight Risser, tell him they'd figure it out together. And now, here she was, letting him go, the one who raised her as a child, not absent like her real father. Nathan was the one who taught her everything she knows, cared for her in times of fever and melancholy. Now, in the street, amongst patrons and civilians, they embrace. Nathan says goodbye to his Slayer, his friend, his daughter.

............................

The police helicopter glides over the river Thames, a spotlight shines down on the crowd below as they disperse, running and screaming on all sides. On the ground, police cars blare their sirens as they turn onto the Westminster Bridge, tires screeching. They stop, blocking the entrance to London. Ahead of them on the North side of the bridge, Risser stands alone. The London Police Special Operations team aims their weapons at him, they scream and yell for him to stop, get on the ground, but he's not listening. With a gesture Risser pulls at the helicopter- inside it sounds alarms and flashes red lights. It comes crashing to the street below. The frightened police force opens fire, a deafening drum of pops sound unrelenting until every officer is out of ammunition. The smell of gunpowder is carried in the smoke.But the bullets never reached him, they linger in the air, harmless floating paper weights. They fall. The men and women in uniform can't understand what they're witnessing. Risser walks down the bridge toward London. The police car windows explode as he gets closer, the cruisers shake. Unable to do anymore, the police run for their lives. Suddenly the vehicles blocking his path rise up into the air- Risser stops- startled, this is not his doing. They crash hard on either side of the bridge into the river. Nathan stands alone in the street."Just the man I wanted to see." Risser exhales the words through a thick vengeful tone. "Yeah, well-" Before Nathan can finish his clever retort Risser uses his power to send him flying up and crashing down a hundred feet away on top of a parked car. "That hurt... so much."