The Weight of The World

A single flake of snow makes its way from the sky, the wind carries it this way and that, not a care in the world. Clouds gather, the tension in the air is broken and a million other flakes follow covering the city in pure white dust. In a torn street in the City of Westminster, six unsung heroes walk, the weight of the world on their shoulders. Jane looks to the bridge as the figure of a man appears behind the curtain of snow. Eli stands patient. He waits for her.

"You can beat him." Nathan tells her through six cracked teeth and a broken jaw. She smiles. "The prophecy says I can't. Says I won't."

"We can help you." He says unconvincingly.

"You did, all of you, thank you." Jane takes one last look at the beaten group. She turns back to the bridge. She walks.

"Wait, what're we doing? Stop! We can figure something out!" Crash spits out. But she doesn't stop, she doesn't turn, she only keeps walking. Nathan catches him as he tries to run after her.

"What're you doing! She's your responsibility she's the only reason you exist!"

Nathan holds him down. "No, I was made to get her here, Now. This is what's supposed to happen."

"How can you say that!? We can stop this!" Crash begs, more to himself than anyone else. Morphy steps away, when Anne turns he sees he is gone. Crash turns to Anne, tears streaming down. "What's going to happen? Can we do anything? Can we help her?"

"I don't know," Anne says, "I'm sorry."

They look on, helpless. Jane walks farther and father and before they know it, she is gone.

..........................

February, 1981

The boy puts his hand on his mother's pregnant Belly. The woman smiles with delight at the sight of her son's reaction. "What is it?" The boy asks.

"It's a little sister." The woman says. You're going to be a big brother soon."

"I am? What do I have to do?"

"Well..." She starts, she looks out the window, at the sky, at the stars. "When it's time, when you're a little older, you're going to have to take care of her. Make sure she's safe. Make sure nothing bad happens to her."

"Because that's what big brothers do?" The boy asks his mother.

"Yes, that is what they do."

The boy leans his head down on his mother's stomach. He whispers to the baby inside. "I'm your brother, Eli, I'm gonna take care of you, keep you safe. So don't worry okay?"

The woman tears up a little and thinks of how this is the only perfect moment she can remember having in years. Finally she can rest. Though she knows soon enough there will be more running. She lays one hand on her Belly, the other on the boy's head. Son and daughter, a family of three. Outside a mysterious man, powerful and valiant stands looking out, keeping a watchful eye over the family.

...............................

Jane steps on the bridge. Beneath her feet the dusty snow swirls and sways in the wind. "Hello brother." She says to Eli who sits at the edge of the bridge with his head back, mouth open.

"When I was little I used to do this," he says, "Every single time it snowed. I used to open my mouth and catch the flakes hoping you were somewhere not too far, doing the same thing."

"I didn't have too many kid moments."

"I know you hate me, but I can't hate you, you're my sister, I've been waiting to meet