PROLOGUE

For seven days, Theresa had been in the dark basement with nothing but silence and the small scutters coming from the rats that lived down there. She was left alone with her thoughts. Wondering if anyone was even looking for her. If anyone even noticed she was gone.

The girl let go of a small whimper as she heard his heavy foot steps coming down to the basement. She knew that she needed to keep quiet. If she even let go of a small murmur, she'd be in for it.

She gulped as he made his way to stand in front of her. He didn't bother to hide his face from her, she knew that it meant that he was going to kill her, it was only a matter of time.

His eyes were a piercing blue that always appeared emotionless, but at the same time they also looked joyful. It was almost as if he enjoyed what he was doing to the girl.

"Hello, Theresa." He spoke so confidently, he knew exactly what he was doing, which terrified the girl. Her name rolled so effortlessly off his tongue, almost as if he had been rehearsing what he was going to say.

He waited for a moment, expecting her to say something back, like all the others did. They always spoke back to him, tried to beg him to let them go. They never learnt but it appeared that Theresa had.

The man placed his foot on the box that Theresa was balancing on by her tip toes. His eyes flickered up to the noose tied tightly around her neck. One small movement from the box and she would be gasping for air.

"I said, Hello, Theresa." He repeated, pushing the box back slightly, making the girl struggle.

Theresa screwed her eyes shut as the noose tightened. She kept trying to pull the box back so that she had something to balance on, but she has no luck. She felt a tear roll down her cheek as she struggled to breathe. She prayed that if this was her end then it would be quick.

He couldn't help but smirk as she gasped, the sound was so addictive to him. It was one of the main reasons he killed them all this way.

"Hi." Theresa managed to whisper back. The man pulled the box back and allowed her to remain balance. He let go of a small chuckle as he heard her gasp.

He brought his hand up and used his thumb to caress her face. He dragged down her bottom lip, and the girl tried to squirm away from him.

She wanted to go home to her father, her sisters, her brother and her mother. Tears formed in her eyes as she thought about her mother, she was so sick, she wasn't sure how she would cope with the disappearance or death of Theresa.

The man gripped the girls face tightly, making her look at him. Her eyes filled with worry and panic, fearful about what else he would do to her.

"Nobody's ever listened to me before. Every one's always pleaded for me to let them go." The man laughed before imitating the girls that he had previously killed. "Please, I'll do anything, just let me go."

He burst out laughing at how desperate they sounded. It was pathetic really, they all thought that they'd get to go home. There wasn't a chance, he loved the kill too much.

Theresa looked towards him desperately as he took a seat opposite the box. His foot rested on it again, almost tormenting her. He gently nudged it, making her whimper and him snicker.

He enjoyed teasing her, watching the colour drain from her face in fear. He leant down and picked up a knife from the floor and began to toss it up and down.

The brunette shook her head, knowing exactly what was coming. He was going to cut her again, it was the same routine every night. He would come downstairs, make her gasp for air for a while and then if she spoke without being addressed he would cut the backs of her ankles.

But for the past few nights she hadn't spoken unless he used her name. It was what he liked. He didn't cut her if she learnt.

"FBI." A loud boom came from upstairs and Theresa saw the panic in his eyes.

The man didn't hesitate on kicking the box from beneath her, making the rope around her neck tighten and her legs dangle. She let go of a cry as she tried her hardest to breathe.

She felt her vision going blurry, and her body feel weak. She didn't know how much longer she could fight to stay awake. She needed them to find her and soon.

Derek watched as Hotch rushed to cut the girl down. His eyes landed on their unsub, who was trying to get away. He didn't hesitate to pull the trigger and kill him. This was his first case, he had only being in the BAU for 6 months and it was the first time he was allowed to go off on his own.

He rushed over to the girl. She couldn't have been older than 18. He grabbed her head and placed it in his lap, Hotch had told him that she had a pulse. He saved this girls life. Derek pushed a piece of her hair out of her face and smiled once her eyes slowly began to flutter open.

"You're safe now." Derek whispered gently, not wanting to scare the girl. After all that she had been through she needed to know that she was safe. "We're gonna get you home, okay?"

Theresa's eyes met the man that saved her and instantly she felt safe. She merely nodded at what he said. His brown eyes seemed so captivating and made her feel as if she could trust him.

Slowly, she began to push herself up, wanting to get out of the place that she had been kept for the past week and desperately just wanting to see her family again. She clung onto Derek's bicep as he helped her stand up.

"I'm Derek Morgan, FBI." Derek introduced himself. "You're Tessa right?" Theresa nodded, tears brimming her eyes once again. Derek pulled the girl into his chest, his hand cupping the back of the girls head and he felt her hands cling to his shirt, pulling herself closer to him. "Let's get you home."