Sending Signals

A/N: ive been going through some stuff and decided to channel that sadness so sorry if this is dramatic
September 2020
Willow

Willow sat in deafening silence. Part of her had been gone for a long time. Something in her had broken, and she wasn't sure if she would ever be fixed again.

She had considered therapy, but didn't want any information about her private life to be leaked. She was already close to disappearing all over again.

Folklore had just come out, and done well on the charts. She had done a few interviews, and was quarantining so she could create a concert film with Aaron and Jack. She had started quarantining with James until they broke up.

Flashback

"Why didn't you tell me?" James asked. Willow sat on the couch, sobbing. He sat next to her.

"I didn't know how to put it into words. I'm broken, James. No amount of love will fix me." Willow wiped her eyes. James seemed lost in thought.

"We can get through this. Just like we did in 2016. I can help you." Willow shook her head, and her entire body shook as she cried even harder.

"2016 was different. I can't just disappear again. And I don't want you to spend your whole life worrying about me." James hugged her tightly.

"I won't leave you. Ever." He spoke firmly.

"James, stop. I can't put you through that."

Willow had spent the next few weeks with James. He would always tell her how far she had come since that talk. One day, she wasn't able to handle it anymore. She had gone right back to where she had started, and forced James to leave.

When no one was watching, she would be thinking of him. He was always on her mind. She pulled out her phone.

"I was yours and you were mine. I'm so sorry. How can we fix this?" She considered sending it, but turned her phone off. No good would come from that.

December
James

James watched Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions for the 4th time. Willow seemed so happy in it. They had agreed not to tell anyone of their breakup. Instead, she lied and pretended they were still together.

In his head, he was still hers. He knew that he should still be holding on to her. When the music died down, he would always walk her home. He couldn't forget how it was before.

James went through phases of confusion where he wanted to call Willow. She had helped him through so much. She would talk to him for hours, and come over with bags of junk food. He would hug her, and everything would be all right. But not this time.

James remembered several times when Willow tried to break up with him, but couldn't quite remember how he stopped her. He used to have something to fight for.

He began to watch Willow's new interview with Jimmy Kimmel, and saw her lying again.
She hadn't even said they were still together. He knew her smile was fake. He wanted nothing more than to go over to her house.

He wondered if there was a line they could cross together. That would mean no matter what, she would always be by his side. He missed holding her hand, and making her meals. He missed how happy they both were.

But they had been dumb. Good things could only last so long. James looked at a photo of Willow he had framed on his wall. She looked so beautiful.

                He had felt like the rest of the world faded away when she was with him

He had felt like the rest of the world faded away when she was with him. Even with paparazzi and headlines showing up every single day. He wouldn't have traded that time with her for anything.

Later in December
Willow

Willow laid in her bed, unable to find the motivation to get up. What was the point of a world without James in it? Her heart ached when she thought of him, and when she wasn't thinking of him.

She dreamed of him every night. It was enough to keep her asleep. She dreamed they had survived the breakup, and lived with each other again.

She wanted to never leave her cabin. To watch wisteria grow right over her bare feet. And she wanted James with her. No other sadness in the world would do.

She heard a knock at the door. Dragging herself out of bed, she walked slowly. She peered through the window, and opened the door. The floors of the cabin creaked under her step.

James

He was finally with her again. He held Willow's hand as they walked through the cabin together. There was a sense of understanding between them. They both needed each other. She looked at him, and they knew it was time to go. Willow opened the door, and they walked through it into the sunlight. This pain wouldn't be for evermore.

A/N:
my first oneshot where their names aren't taylor and joe

going through it right now so i decided to write a sad oneshot that ended well to try to give myself some hope

Also this is 904 words 9 and 4 is 13 the insane swiftie in me is truly very happy about that

songs:

evermore by taylor swift (of course)

elvis song by maisie peters

in my head by maisie peters

it's time to go by taylor swift