Chapter 5: Oh My God, They're Roommates Now

A/n:...Hey
..how y'all doin'?

I AM SO SORRY OH MY GOD. So much has changed in my life since the last chapter, I've been reading your comments and can't help but feel bad 😭 I've been caught up with work and my mental health has gotten way better recently! With TOH coming back in 2 days, I thought today would be a good day to finally finish this chapter. I LOVE U ALL SO MUCH

A chapter in which we enter the rival stage

***

Only a couple of days had passed since your talk with Hunter, he was winning over the rest of the group, but not you. You avoided each other throughout the day, trying to find 100 excuses to not be near each other, whether it was doing tasks with Eda or going with Luz to help her study with Amity for an upcoming test.

The tension was building up though, and if Hunter was on your side now, you couldn't let this go on. Something needed to change, but both of you were too stubborn to admit it.

You were stretching on the grass right outside, ready to start training. In a world like this, you needed stamina and strength. Both factors you'd already shown great talent with, but regardless, you could never be too careful.

In the middle of doing your arm stretches though, a little red cardinal landed on your shoulder. A bird you recognized as Hunter's.

"Hey, Flap Jack," you give the palisman a little head pat.

"You rarely leave Hunter's side," you say, keeping up the welcoming soft tone. "Was he being too much of an asshole today?" The bird rubbed his head up against your hand for a few more seconds before perching his head up.

"Yeah? What's up?"

Without warning, the bird flies off of your shoulders and bites the sleeve of your shirt, pulling you the other way. "Woah, Woah buddy, what's wrong?"

He tugs you a bit more in the direction of the house, leading you to even more confusion. You looked up from your sleeve to the house, seeing Hunter leaned up against the wall, feet and arms crossed. He was staring off in the opposite direction, almost uncomfortably.

"...Oh," you whisper more to yourself than the bird. Your whole demeanor changes, smile fading, posture straightening.

Flap Jack started chirping loudly, urging you to walk over to the boy. "Sh sh sh," You panicked as the bird got louder. "I'm not going over there." Your whispering was doing nothing to the bird, his voice overpowering yours.

You sighed, giving in. "Fine, only to give you back though."

Little Rascal stopped in response, landing on your shoulder again and nuzzling your cheek.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," you say, keeping in a half-smile.

Approaching Hunter, you got a chance to examine him from up close. You couldn't stomach directly looking at your former friend for the first few days, understandably so. Now though, you just wanted to go back to training. One minute is nothing right?

Hunter wore dingy jeans that were slightly ripped and a blue hoodie that started off as royal blue but was now turned into a faded version of that. You could tell that they were clothes from the human world, so you assumed that he'd got them from the basement. If he wanted to be inconspicuous, of course, he wasn't going to wear the guard's outfit he came in.