Chapter 9: bABy DOn'T huRt mE (Slowed and Reverb)

A chapter in which this starts actually feeling like an 'x Reader'

(And the reader gets sick of these flashback chapters, probably)

***

Back in the castle.

This was Hunter's mind-dominated dream now, you were sure of it. If you weren't before, the sight of the Golden Guard walking down the hallway alone was confirmation. You both follow after the dream Hunter, unable to recall what day this dream took place.
What can I say? Y'all were curious.

The dream Golden Guard, much like dream you, was hitting sharp turns throughout the castle, eventually getting to a spiral staircase. You and Hunter have a silent mutual exchange of familiarity as it started to click. Your old meeting spot.

You considered turning back but decided to follow after the two Hunters reluctantly. Eventually, you reach the top, where Dream Hunter opens up a secret door hidden within the rocky ceiling. It reminded you of an attic door, just without the flimsy ladder that folds out. Dream Hunter jumps, catching the edge of the opening with his hands, and lifts himself up and out of the space. Hunter follows his dream counterpart, and you follow after him.

Dream Hunter sits down next to Dream You, who was staring out into the setting sun. The sky reflected a golden hue onto them. It was jarring seeing you guys together like this, especially from an outside perspective. Your dream equivalent had her arms wrapped around her legs, knees covering her chest. As soon as they noticed Dream Hunter, their distant expression disappeared, replaced with a warm smile.

You glanced over at Hunter, who was clearly avoiding your gaze. It was as if he knew something you didn't. As if he remembered what day this was.

Dream Hunter removed his Golden Guard mask, revealing his warm smile as well. "Are you alright?"
Dream You sighs, "Yeah I'm okay. Just thinking, that's it."
He raised his eyebrows as if saying 'Go on'.

It was hard to believe that this was the Hunter that was betraying you simultaneously. Hunter could feel the animosity radiating off of you at that moment, but instead of giving him a glare, you sighed and sat down next to Dream You. Hunter stayed standing behind you three, arms crossed and tense.

"I just...it's really nice here. It's beautiful, I don't mind that the people here aren't, well, people. It's not like this back home." She paused, unable to get out what you knew she wanted to, "I don't know what I'm getting at. Anyway," she let out another held-in breath, "How was...work?" She takes the mask out of his hand, examining it.

"It was good. Uncle and I discussed ways to rally up more wild witches. It's insane how many truly do exist."
"What's up with that?"
"I know right, I don't even-"
"No," Dream You cuts him off, "What's so bad about wild witches? Wild Magic too. I don't get it."

His eyebrows furrow for a second, "Emperor Belos believes that all Wild Magic should be eradicated, therefore, it should. I mean, it is safer to control magic through covens. It's not as dangerous."

This memory clicked in your mind, but why was it so important to Hunter's subconscious? You'd have conversations like this often; You asking curiously about this new world around you and its rules, and he'd answer as best as he could. A lot of these thoughts, however, had been heavily based on Belos' influence.

"You don't think that though, do you?" They respond rubbing their thumb along the mask.
"What?"
"You don't think that wild magic should be eradicated."

He sits there for a moment contemplating his next few words. "Well...I..."

"You have an interest in Wild Magic, Hunter. I see you put that book down every time I come into your room. You don't think I notice, but I do."

"I do believe that it can be beneficial when put in the right hands for the right purpose. The other witches out there could cause danger when given the chance," This sentence seems rehearsed like he had heard it before.