Chapter Five: Parting Ways

"Lord Kokushibo, I'm bored." Kiyoko sighed as she sat under a tree.

  It had been another two months and she had done nothing but run through drills and breath really hard non-stop, other than for meals. She was getting tired of it.

  "Then find something to do." He responded, "go train. Find more humans to eat, kill a slayer, kill one of the Hashira. Find something."

  Oh right. The Demon Slayers, Kiyoko and Kokushibo had only been spotted 5 times since she had gotten the engraving on her eye, and Kokushibo killed every single one of them. He insisted they move locations after he killed a particularly powerful slayer though.

  "Kill a.. What? A Hashira? What's that?"

  Kokushibo looked at her incredulously. "I take it you are joking?"

  "No. What's a Hashira?"

  Silence.

  "Well say something! I'm not going to learn if no one tells me!" She huffed. Kokushibo's lip twitched. He almost smiled. But he remained silent.

  'Huh? Is this his way of laughing at me because I don't know? Seriously? Isn't this kind of childish?' Kiyoko stared at him, a 'seriously?' type look on her face. He could almost hear her thoughts as he stared back at her.

'Really? You're not going to tell me? Some teacher you are. You're the one who's meant to tell me these things anyways, who else would? My father? Hell no! We rarely talk! So are you gonna tell me? Hm? Hmm?'

  ... Is what she was probably thinking.

  Finally, he broke his silence.

  "A Hashira is one of the strongest demon slayers there are, there's typically nine Hashira, but the number can vary since slayers die quickly... But there has never not been a water and flame hashira in all the years they have existed."

  "Ooh, how long has it been since the demon slayers came into creation then?"

  "At most, 2,910 years."

  "There's been Hashira for that long?"

  "No... The Hashira were created after breathing styles were created." Kokushibo shook his head.

  "Oh when did those come about?"

  "Around 450 Years ago."

  "Only that long?" Kiyoko gaped.

  "Yes, it was during the Sengoku period... It was the golden age for the Demon Slayer Corp... We had many talented slayers and the swordsmiths were incredible."

  "We?" Kokushibo froze.

  'I never told her I was a Demon Slayer.'

  "Lord Kokushibo.. Were you..?"

  "Yes, I was once a Demon Slayer, but I wish to not talk about it further."

  "Oh.. okay."

  'Why would my father have a Demon Slayer. Upper Moon One?' She wondered, as she looked at her teacher. 'It doesn't matter, I trust them.'

  They sat in silence.

  "Do you remember the slayer I killed before we came to this house?" Kiyoko perked up at his voice.

  "The Mist breathing slayer, right? The one with the dark blue Haori?"

  "Yes... That was a pillar."

  "What? Really? But you defeated them so easily!"

  "Yes.. But there is no doubt that that man was a pillar, or at least a high level Kinoe."