Chapter Seven: Search II

My Dear Children,

       I hope everyone is doing well, and that you are all healthy. A perplexing situation came up. There is a demon near Mt. Takao, targeting specific humans. My duties as the head of the Demon Slayer Corp tell me to send pursuers, but my duty as a parent to my children tells me to let them be.

      The demon targets known abusers, specifically those who hurt children, and as a parent I would want my children to be protected as the demon has protected the children of their prey. I feel it would be beneficial to learn of your opinions on the matter. If there hasn't been any encounter before the next meeting, we shall further discuss it then.

       We of house Ubuyashiki pray for your victory in battle and a long, healthy life.

               Kagaya Ubuyashiki

  There were no hotels in the entertainment district that allowed children, so she found somewhere else, a house surrounded by Wisteria. Kiyoko knew of these places, and only hoped that she would be allowed to stay, luckily she could, but she would have to hope there weren't any Demon Slayers, even if she could hide her presence well.

The young girl was silent as Kiyoko washed her hair in the bath house. She barely moved, only stared ahead as Kiyoko's was untangling her hair with ungodly amounts of Camellia hair oil.

"There. Much better, right?" Kiyoko spoke gently as she began to dry Chise's hair. "I will go buy you some clothes and ask one of the workers here to bring some food and a doctor. Please wait here and rest."

Chise looked at her, and eventually nodded, Kiyoko gave her a soft smile. "Wonderful! I will be back soon." And with that, she left.

When she came back, she had some undergarments, a kimono top, and a hakama skirt. Soon after she arrived, so did a doctor and a house member with some food. Chise had a high fever, but would get over it so long as she got enough rest. With that, the house master kindly offered to let them stay as long as it took for Chise to get better as the doctor lived in the house, but Kiyoko declined saying, "there is a pharmacy and doctor's office near where I live, so there is no need. I greatly appreciate your offer, though. Hopefully we'll be out of your hair by tomorrow night if she feels better."

And they were, by nightfall they were on their way back to Kiyoko's barely renovated shack. She tried to make small talk with the girl in her arms, but she would only nod or shake her head, never speaking.

"Chise, do you not know how to talk?" Kiyoko asked, the girl looked at her before looking down, seemingly shrinking away at the question. "It's alright if you don't know how." Chise shook her head.

"It's alright, I'll teach you, okay?" She smiled at the girl.

It took them another two days to get back to the mountain Kiyoko resided in, and in those two days she spent an hour trying to get Chise to say her name (but it was worth it), and spent the rest of the time teaching her more words.

This went on for three months. Kiyoko would teach Chise how to speak during the day, and hunt at night. The days were peaceful, and the girl was now warming up to the demoness who saved her, she even began calling her "Kiyo" as a cute nickname. But one night there was a halt in their peaceful routine.

"Is this what you've been doing, Kiyoko? Playing Mother to some human brat?" Spoke a familiar voice. The two girls froze as they looked at the open door to the shack. There stood Muzan Kibutsuji, "I expected more from you, Kiyoko."

She said nothing, rather, what could she say? She's a demon. She's meant to kill humans, not keep them alive but.. There was just something in her that told her otherwise.