Chapter Nine: A Reuinion

Kanao Tsuyuri. Revered protégé of the Insect pillar, tsuguko of Shinobu Kocho. She follows orders with no room for error, she has seen the horrors that humanity has subjected each other to- conditioning her mind to never think for itself, only following orders from her master, the crow, and the small piece of metal kept in her pocket at all times. She was an emotionless demon killing machine, but this... This was something even she couldn't fathom.

  When the tsuguko entered the Butterfly Mansion on return from her mission, she was greeted by her master, a demon, and a familiar looking child, hugging the arm of the demoness. Kiyoko, she had already heard about from a crow's message from Shinobu, but the child... Kanao felt a strange pull towards the nine year old.

  "Kanao, I know you've heard about the demon that has joined the Corp, so we've come to properly introduce her. This is Kiyoko Kibutsuji," Shinobu said, then gesturing gently towards the child, she spoke again "And I believe this is your sister, Chise."

  "Sister...?" Kanao mumbled quietly, a bewildered look on her face. "A sister?? alive?"

  "Chise, do you recognize her?" Kiyoko asked the child who held her arm

  "Uh huh! Very familiar!" She replied enthusiastically.

  "Do you know her name?" Shinobu asked, as not even she knew her adoptive sister's name- the name she had now- "Kanao" was chosen by her and her sister after all.

  "No! No names given!" Her reply was just as enthusiastic.

  "Well, I'm sure everyone will get to know each other better soon, but for now, I must discuss something with Miss Kiyoko." Shinobu smiled, cutting through the awkward atmosphere. "Chise, why don't you go play with Kiyo, Sumi, and Naho? I hear they're making Rice crackers with Aoi. Kanao, why don't you go rest? I'm sure you must be tired from your mission."

  "Okay!!"

  "Yes, Master." Kanao spoke quietly, both leaving the two women to talk.

  "Come, let's talk in my office."

  Shinobu's little meeting was a detailed retelling of what happened after she left the meeting, Sanemi was seething, as were many of the other Pillars, and they discussed what Kiyoko will do in the corp.

  "I have territory that I look over, all pillars do, and it's part of why missions get sent out so quickly. Master Ubuyashiki oversees the Demon Slayers as a whole, but only gives missions to the higher ranking demon slayers, as well as giving missions to slayers in territories that overlap each other. Everything within the Pillar's territory is handled by the Pillar."

  "But how do you manage that when you're the only doctor for the Corp?"

  "I barely do. I have several crows on patrol, keeping a look out for demons, they tell me of sightings and I fill out a form to send to a slayer nearest to the area that is in fighting condition. No one is there to physically be on patrol, that is where you come in."

  "I see.. So I will be patrolling in your place?And with that, will I be getting an official uniform? Or am I allowed to change my form?"

  "We'd prefer if you use an official uniform, as it's impervious to the majority of lower level demons' attacks, but it should be fine to change forms for the first few days after you receive your uniform, after you get the second one you should probably wear it."

  "Why should I wait until after the first uniform ?"

  "The kakushi in charge of the uniforms, Maeda.. He has a death wish. Once you receive your uniform you'll see. I'll give you some matches and oil to burn it if the uniform doesn't fit properly. I burnt mine in front of Maeda and did the same for Aoi and Kanao."