Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I hadn't realized that my feet were moving already. I didn't need to think. I needed to get to safety. There's only one thing I should be worried about now, and that's getting my soul harvested by a paranormal soul-sucking demon. Being turned wasn't an option.

There was only one priority running through my mind and that was running as fast as my human feet would take me. My green pack shook brutally as I sprinted from the ruined town, drawing out the Anater chasing me away from the others gathered within the small town. My combat boots felt heavy, but I kept my movements stabilized.

Should I look back? What if they're gone? I couldn't help the urge to look back. But as soon as I did, I knew I could have stopped a long time ago. I was running away from nothing.

I looked around, pivoting a full circle on the balls of my feet, checking my surroundings.

I found myself in the middle of large field with muddy puddles scattered around. It wasn't like the one I had laid in a few days ago. Strands of my shoulder length hair blew around my face violently and the sleeves of my dark green army jacket was covered in dirt. There was no point in pushing my hair back with it.

It became all  too silent.

My gun was gripped in my right hand, prepared to be raised and fired on demand. The beating in my chest increased as the gray clouds were now rolling into an endless black color.

Another storm. We've had too much rainfall already this past week, and sunshine would be much appreciated. A good rainfall would only slow me down.

As a few fresh rain drops fell to the ground, I had decided to make my way back. I started to walk towards the buildings to rejoin the others, when a tall black figure leaning up against a store's entrance startled me.

Convincing myself to take a different route, away from the strange shadow, I begin jogging around the buildings, away from the main street.

When I was about to turn around back to look at the dark figure, I suddenly hit my head against something hard. I wince as I pulled back, stumbling, rubbing the pain from my forehead. When I looked up, about to curse the object, my heart stopped.

I could feel the cold uncomfortable chills running down my back, the amused blond Anater from before in front of me. I had run into death, once again.

Alarms ran through my head. Run, Tori. Don't just stand there.

He wasn't moving, not even jumping at me or attacking me. What was wrong with him?

He's probably toying with you.

I was confused, tired, and felt like I would wake up next to my father, watching the familiar rooftop of the blue tent, any moment now.

While he casted his gaze downward at me, watching me carefully through his dark and deadly gaze, I couldn't help but notice the color of his hair and his eyes. Nothing about it made sense. If he wasn't turned, then how was he an Anater?

When my trembling body was about to turn around and make a run for it, he grabbed my forearm tightly and pulled me towards him. I looked up at him, waves of panic running through my body. In this case, I did what anyone else would do: fight.

He was like a planted boulder, never moving nor flinching, only tightening his grip on my weak arm. Throughout my numerous attempts of punching, kicking, and biting, there was no progress whatsoever. It was at the moment when he chuckled that I stopped and looked up at his amused face.

"What? What is so funny, you demon?!" I yelled, aimlessly trying to pull my arm away. Gasping slightly at my choice of words, afraid I had angered him for good, I closed my eyes shut tightly.

I waited for his sudden angry outburst. I waited for my end.

But as I opened my frightened eyes, I immediately regretted it.

He had leaned down, stopping about an inch from my face. Nose almost touching nose. My heartbeat picked up fast, beating as if every second wasn't enough.

I'd rather be dead than turned into what I feared the most. I would lose my memories, lose my life, who I was, and most importantly, I could hurt others who are still struggling to survive like my family and the camp residents.

"You're a stupid girl." He challenged, his eyes turning impossibly darker.

This small talk was confusing me. Why wasn't he killing me already? Why wasn't he tilting my head up, harvesting my soul, leaving my limp body on the ground, to awaken into something darker?

"Why don't you just kill me already?" I spat, speaking my thoughts.

I wasn't ready to suffer, I'd rather just get it over with. I glanced quickly at my gun on the muddy ground a few feet away.

He gripped my wrist tightly before turning me around, my back to his chest.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." He whispered with what seemed a hint of amusement in his tone.

I was now facing the town, my back pressed against his chest, as he gripped both my wrists using one hand. The other hand was wrapped around my neck, as if prepared to choke me.

"Scream." His low voice threatened. When I didn't do as told, his grip around my neck tightened. The access for air now smaller. "Scream." He ordered once again, promising punishment.

"No." It came out as a raspy gasp as he nearly crushed my larynx underneath his gripping fingers. Black and white spots were forming in my vision. Air was the only thing on my mind, but it just wouldn't fill my lungs. Salty tears grazed my cheeks as I struggled for precious oxygen.

Just scream. Scream and take a breath. When his fingers loosened around my bruised throat, I did as my mind told me.

I screamed.

And the whole time, I hated myself for being weak. For being so stupid and selfish.

For betraying my own race.

******

So, literally writing all these on my phone, since ya know, I'm in the middle of Kansas.

Alright well have a nice rest of the summer and hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Funnybear out. ;)