Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"No," I looked up at his grinning face, immediately regretting my previous action. The small flow of tears began to blur my vision. The dark angel was looking onward, towards the town ruins, a mocking smile on his lips. I continued to struggle against his firm hold around my waist and wrists.

I hadn't meant to scream. I just wanted, needed, the oxygen to fill my aching lungs, a normal habit anyone would give up to have. I hadn't realized that the people I survived with and loved were now put in crucial danger and I felt selfish, disgusted by myself.

"They heard." He whispered lowly, still not looking down at me.

"No! Don't come! It's a tra-" My mouth was quickly pressed against his hand, pushing my head back onto his hard chest. I tried to bite his hand but he only pressed it harder against my trembling lips.

When I realized, in my panicking state, that voices from within the streets of the town were nearing themselves to our location, my eyes widened. From that moment, I lost it. My hands had somehow breaken free and reached his, pressed to my mouth, as I tried to jerk them away. My legs started to kick in every which way, desperate to be released from the monster's arms. Twisting my body violently, I screamed in his hands as loud as I could, but it only projected out as a muffled cry.

I had to fight, although flight looked like a rather tempting action at the moment. I could tell that my rebellious actions had frustrated him, as his right arm gripped my waist tighter.

"Stop." He growled. He jerked his elbow into me, right below my ribcage. I bent over, hurt from the blow to my stomach. I groaned as he pulled me upright once again, whimpering against his hold, all instincts of fighting leaving me.

Heavy tears of anger rolled down my cheeks. It seemed completely useless. When I thought maybe there was hope that nobody had heard the sounds of my scream, I felt a cool wave of relief. They were safe. Kaila was safe. I tried to keep myself from grinning due to my captors' failed plan, but as I gazed up to see the look on his face, I saw a slight, patient smile.

Didn't he know they had already left back to the camp? Didn't he know we, humans, were smarter than he thought? No one would be that stupid to walk right into a trap, especially when Kaila had probably told them all about the Anaters who had attacked us.

Apparently he sensed my bravery because he grabbed my chin within his thumb and index finger and violently jerked my face to look at the small city buildings again.

"Just wait." He whispered, almost as if speaking to himself. After a moment, he spoke again. "Ah, here they are."

I was confused by his words. Where were they? I didn't hear or see anything.

With his left hand still glued down to my mouth uncomfortably, I breathed through my nose heavily, starting to panic. What was going on?

When the sound of screaming hit my eardrums, I fought harder against the Anater's muscled chest. I knew whose voice that belonged to.

"Tori! Tori, help!" The scream sounded muffled at some points, as if the owner of such cries was struggling to call for help as hands tried to cover their agape mouth. Tears continued strolling down my cheeks, fast, as I struggled and cried, fighting to free myself.

"Kaila! Kaila!" I screamed back, sobbing through my calls. She was hurt, and she was hurt because of me. When a large shadow came into view, the beating of my heart picked up, practically leaping out of my chest. Kaila had her body pressed against an Anater's chest, her wrist locked in his hand, her head pulled back as he pulled on her hair with his other hand.