Twin

Ana found Wanda alone in the kitchen. She was cooking dinner for the team as usual because everyone else would just order-in instead. The woman stood with her back to the doorway, chopping vegetables rhythmically. Ana was quiet and watched her hum to herself softly. When Wanda turned around, she was startled by Ana's presence. Before realising who was watching her, Wanda used her magic to flick the knife towards the girl. Ana didn't flinch but waited for Wanda to cut her or lower it. As soon as Wanda saw what she was doing, she flew the knife back over to the counter. 

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry Ana, I didn't know it was you. Everyone else's thoughts are so loud I can hear them coming." she apologised frantically. 

Ana gave a soft smile and sat down, "It's okay."

There was an awkward moment of silence between the two. Wanda moved to stir the sauce on the stove. 

"Natasha said you were a HYDRA project too. Did they take you as well?" Ana asked.

Wanda's eyes remained on the food, "No. I volunteered..."

Ana was startled by this statement. How could anyone volunteer to be used like that by those monsters.

Wanda sensing the girl's shock fell embarrassed. She regretted that day. Maybe if she hadn't agreed it then Pietro would still be alive.

"I know what you're thinking. That I am some horrible person for allowing that to happen when you were forced into it. But you have to know they sold us lies. We were just kids." Wanda looked down.

An idea formed, "I can show you if you want."

Ana thought about it for a second. Did she really want to relive the pain, just through someone else?

Despite being hesitant, Ana agreed and Wanda turned off the stove. The woman came and sat beside the girl and a wisp of red flowed from her hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Wanda turned to her brother. He smiled at her and held her hand. They stood waiting for a man to meet them in the outskirts of Sokovia. 

They had been living in foster homes for almost 2 years now. All of the people they stayed with were neglectful. They heard from one of the older foster kids in their home that there was a man who was recruiting people to be apart of a clinical trial. The boy told them that he paid well and Pietro instantly knew that this was for them. He could rent a small place for him and his sister and they wouldn't have to live with those horrid people ever again. The pair had scheduled a meeting with a man who went by 'The Bridge'.

A figure emerged from the shadows and Wanda gripped her brother's hand tighter. As the man came into view, he could see his perfectly groomed hair and suit. A wave of relief flushed over her and she loosed her grip.

"Ahh you must be Pietro and Wanda Maximoff. I am 'The Bridge', but think of me as a friend who wants to help. How can I be of assistance?" The man spoke.

Pietro said to him, "We want to know more about this clinical trial of yours."

'The Bridge' nodded, "Yes, straight to business. The clinical trial is run by a wealthy organisation that I am here to represent. If you take part, you will be given every luxury you can think off. My organisation is willing to pay each candidate €30,000 cash in hand." 

Wanda spoke up, "What kind of trial is it?"

"My organisation is testing out a new chemical they found whilst on an expedition. So far, they have had very promising results. However, they need a range of ages blood types to try said chemical, which is why they need you two."

Pietro looked at his sister. She nodded and they both looked back at the man. 

"We'll do it." Pietro spoke. 

A devilish smile climbed across the man's face. Suddenly, four men grabbed both of the twins and a van burst round the corner. Wanda felt a needle slide into her neck and a bag was placed over her head. She began to feel drowsy and could no longer keep her eyes open. The last thing she felt was the cold metal floor of the van. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ana jumped back into the room. She looked the Wanda, who got up to continue cooking. The girl was speechless; she sat there guilty from earlier. 

"I'm really sorry, Wanda. I- I didn't know." Ana avoided her eye line.

Wanda shook her head, "It's all in the past now."

"Who was the person holding your hand?" Ana asked. 

The woman's face lit up and she smiled softly, "My brother, Pietro. He's my twin."

"What happened to him?" 

Wanda sighed, "He was killed by Ultron."

The pair fell into silence for an few minutes, but not the same kind as before. Ana couldn't imagine loosing Yelena, or Natasha. 

Ana spoke first, "What was they chemical?"

"Oh it wasn't a chemical, it was an infinity stone. The mind stone. We had to touch it and it changed us. I got my powers and my brother got super speed." Wanda explained.

"What's an infinity stone?"