'How?'

Sam connected Skype to the television so they could call Alexei and get an update. Wanda and Melina sat on the sofa - leaving a space for Natasha - whilst Bucky put a few extra chairs around the coffee table so everyone could watch. Nat emerged from the lab and joined the others in the living room. Bucky smiled at her as she crossed the room to take her place on the sofa. She took a few biscuits from the plate on the table and crossed her legs. 

They heard the door slam behind them and Clint came running from the hallway. He dragged a chair from the dining room table over and sat down.

"Sorry I'm late. Traffic was horrible." he grabbed himself a biscuit.

The call started and Alexei's face was pasted on the screen. Yelena popped up next to him in her own frame. 

"Hello, family!" the Russian boomed through the mic.

Melina clapped her hands together, "My darling, how are you?"

"I'm great. Good to be so near mother Russian again." he smiled.

"Did you find anything?" Natasha got straight to the point.

Alexei nodded, "I have a pretty good lead. I looked into the building we thought they were running out of but it was clean. But I was talking to an old friend last night and he has seen a few blacked out cars going to a different building. Apparently this place was used in the cold war for secret projects and it has an underground bunker. I'm going to get the floor plans for it tomorrow from a contact."

"You shouldn't go alone. If they are actually there then you should have back-up. I'll fly out in a few hours with some friends who might be able to help." Yelena said. 

"That's a good idea, Yelena. Let us know if you get any extra information and we can check it out." Melina told them.

The call ended and everyone looked to Nat. She was sat there staring into space. Wanda put her hand on her thigh which made her jolt slightly. They gave each other a look to check in and Wanda nodded her head.

"Who wants take-out?" Sam asked the group.

Steve perked up, "Ooo, can we have Chinese? All we seem to get is pizza." 

"Fine." Sam rolled his eyes.

Natasha stood up and left the room. Wanda looked at Melina and the older woman rose to go check on her. She walked to Natasha's room and knocked gently on her door.

She spoke softly, "Natasha? Can I come in?" 

Melina heard the door unlock and she took that as a sign to come in. The door closed behind her; Nat was sat on the bed, knees pulled into her chest. Melina sat on the end of her bed, keeping her distance but near enough for comfort.

"We're close. I can feel it. Soon enough she will be back in our arms." Melina smiled.

Natasha sighed, "How did you do it? How did you let your kids go? How did you cope being away from them for so long?" 

"I didn't have a choice. They took me to the hospital and that was the last time I saw you. I couldn't fight and if I protested Dreykov would've killed me for being weak. So I kept tabs on you and Yelena, watched you grow even if it was through a yearly medical report. As for Ana, I thought she was dead. I mourned for her. When you told me she was alive, I blamed myself. Not once did I look into her. The Red Room probably had access to her files as well. I just let them take my children from me." she sighed and looked down.

Natasha put her hand on her mother's shoulder and Melina covered it with her own. The two women shared each others pain, something neither of them had had before. The Red Room taught them not to trust anyone and here they were, blind faith in one another. Even though they weren't blood-related, they couldn't be more of the same person.

"Come on, the food will be here soon." Melina patted her arm.

As Melina was about to walk out, Natasha pulled her into a hug. It was something they both needed but were too afraid to ask for because they didn't want to seem weak. This was their secret to share.