The Cure

F.R.I.D.A.Y interrupted the moment, "An aircraft is landing on the roof."

Natasha and Ana pulled away and looked at each other.

"Mom." they spoke in unison. 

The pair jogged up to the landing pad and were joined by Steve and Yelena. Bruce was already there awaiting their arrival. 

As the plane landed safely, Melina got out and was followed by Alexei. Bruce started talking to Melina as she walked over to her daughters. 

"We did it, girls." Melina produced a vial containing red liquid from her pocket. 

Everyone began walking down to the laboratory; Alexei embraced Yelena behind the group. 

When they reached the lab, they saw that Tony was already down there working on something. 

"Ahh Melina, you're back! Did you do it?" he asked.

Ana tok a seat on one of the medical beds and Melina showed him the vial, "Of course I did Stark."

She stood in front of Ana and held her hand. They gave each other a small nod of assurance. Melina opened the vial and put a needle on top. Ana took a deep breath and Melina pushed the needle through her flesh. 

Ana's eyes flickered red temporarily and change back to their original state. Bruce brought over a portable MRI to the bed and Ana laid under it. The two scientist gathered around the computer to read her brain scans. Yelena also went over to have a look. 

"What does the blue section mean?" she asked.

Melina pointed to the scan, "The blue means the brain is reacting well to the antidote. You see that the pink is disappearing from her hippocampus? That means that her choices are not being controlled by the Red Room anymore." 

"You're free my darling." Melina turned to Ana. 

Ana pushed the machine away and sat up. She looked blankly at her mom. 

She looked dead serious, "That's not funny."

Natasha sighed at her sympathetically, "It's true, Ana. You're free."

"That's not funny." Ana's voice broke.

For the longest time, the girl hadn't made her own decisions or trusted her own mind. There was always someone in the back of her head trying to control her every thought. They had gone now. 

She was finally free. 

Ana hid in her face in her hands. Yelena rushed over to her and tried to hug her. Ana pushed her off and backed away. 

"Hey, you're not gonna hurt me. I promise." Yelena spoke softly and tried again.

This time Ana let her and nestled into her shoulder. She fought back the tears as not o let everyone see her cry. 

Yelena whispered to her, "It's okay to cry, воробей" (sparrow)

Ana gave into the waves of relief and cried into her twin's shoulder. Tony, Steve and Bruce left the room to give the family some alone time. 

As Alexei was about to leave as well, Ana left Yelena and hugged him. This took the super-soldier by surprise at first but welcomed it. The women left the lab so it was just Alexei and Ana.

"I'm so sorry I left you there. I was only thinking about myself and the glory I got as the Red Guardian. I should've got you out that day when I saw you. I realise now that you and the girls are the most important thing to me; not the fame or the name. You. I was weak and selfish and I understand if you don't forgive me." 

Ana let the hug go and looked the man in the eye, "I forgive you, Dad."

Alexei smiled brighter and hugged his daughter tighter. 

The duo came back upstairs to the living room where most of the team was gathered. Everyone congratulated Ana on her freedom and gave her a slice of pizza that they were all tucking into.

Tony stood up and cleared his throat. He announced to the group, "In celebration, I think that we should have a party. Tomorrow night."

Ana looked at Natasha skeptically and she mouthed, 'Just go with it.'

"I think it's a good idea." Clint said. 

"What do you think Ana?" Steve asked.

Ana nodded, "Okay then."

Tony clapped and sat back down, "Great it's a plan. 8 o'clock tomorrow nigh then."