III

Possible spoilers between the ⭐🦋 and 🦋⭐.

— OoOoO — O — OoOoO — O — OoOoO —

The evening quiet and darkness of Star's room gave way to the sound and light of an opening space-time portal. Star and Marco jumped out of the portal together, hand in hand. After Star closed the portal, the two threw themselves onto the sofa, tired but happy.

"Man, I'm so thrilled you're still wanting to do that," Star said. "That was fun."

"Hey, anything for my best girlfriend," Marco replied. "But I have fun too."

"I better be your only girlfriend, not your best one."

Marco simply smiled and winked.

After Jej appeared, Star continued her musings, "That has to be the weirdest AU we've visited."

"Yeah. So, rather than Mewni, we ended up at this Earth Dimension tourist trap run by some creepy old guy taking care of his twelve-year-old twin grandniece and grandnephew. Somewhere in Oregon, I think. It seemed awfully familiar, like something we've seen on TV."

Star grimaced. "We probably should have been smarter, or more mature, and not let those little twerps ... I mean, darling little children ... goad us into showing off, especially when we shouldn't have been talking to them in the first place. We wouldn't have ended up on those dreadful islands ... erm, what were they called?"

⭐🦋 "The Boiling Isles," Marco answered. "But the Isles were that universe's version of Mewni, and Bonesboro its version of Castle Village, so we ended up where we wanted even if the setting wasn't overly pleasant. So, let's see, Moon was called Eda, or Edalyn, or Owl Lady, I was never quite clear on that point."

"Marco was called Luz," Star continued, "and was a girl, not that there's anything wrong with that. She was a human trying to learn magic from Eda."

"Star was called Amity, a magic user with a crush on Marco ... I mean Luz ... as per usual. I thought her purple hair was quite cute."

Star rolled her eyes. "I think it was more lavender than purple, but close enough. Where it got really strange was that Tom was this weird cat- ... dog- ... demon thing."

"And because Janna always has to be creepy and annoying, she was their home's godawful house demon." Marco grinned. "Their ruler's name wasn't awful, though. 'King Clawthorne,' what a cool name."

"I don't know why, but Tom's voice in that AU really reminded me of that evil little Hirsch Goblin from the photo booth. Janna's too." Star rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "That old guy's in Oregon as well, come to think of it."

"Still, the islands might have been ... gross ... but what was going on certainly was interesting." Marco smiled. "I look forward to going back for the second half of their second season ... you know, Spring ... to see what happens." 🦋⭐

Jej disappeared, not having said a word, like a good chronicler should.

— OoOoO — 2 — OoOoO — 2 — OoOoO —

The next morning, Star awoke a little sore from the prior day's adventure, but not too worse for wear. She yawned, and when she went to stretch, discovered she was holding Marco's hand. He was slumped over in her desk chair, still asleep. Star's mood turned a little sour; she'd clearly had another nightmare, although this time she couldn't remember having one.

Star leaned over and kissed Marco, who stirred awake.

"Mmmmm ... mornin'," he said, yawning and stretching.