XVI

Star and Marco walked hand in hand down the main street of a small Mewmin village on the outskirts of the Groundlands. After a chance encounter with a peasant who spoke about the challenges of daily living that she faced, they'd decided to visit her village as it was part of Marco's duchy as Duke of the Groundlands.

It was a typical Mewmin village, very much like a Medieval village from Earth's past. Marco couldn't help but notice the lack of proper sewage and water systems. The streets were unpaved, with the droppings of domesticated animals fairly common. Marco remembered from history class that all those things contributed to the spread of diseases, especially the lack of clean water. Mewni had some technology, but little of it appeared to be in the hands of regular folk. As Marco spoke to Star about how they might improve the lives of every Mewmin, they were approached by an older gentleman.

"Excuse me, milord and milady," the man said, holding his hat.

"Please don't call me that," Star and Marco replied in unison.

The man was clearly confused. "My apologies, my prince and princess." Star took a breath, but let it out when Marco squeezed her hand to tell her to let it go.

"I am a humble subject, but a curious one," the man continued. "I am confused." The man indicated Star's and Marco's clasped hands. "My princess, aren't you and Prince Lucitor..."

The gentleman formed his left thumb and index finger into a circle, while slowly inserting his right index finger.

Star sighed. "No, we're not engaged, and never were."

"What? Engaged? I'm asking if you and Prince Lucitor are fu..."

Star interrupted, yelling, "Okay, moving on!" and dragged Marco away from the grinning dirty-old-man.

Once out of sight, Marco dropped Star's hand, turning toward her. "What's the matter, Princess Easy-pants, did he hit close to home?"

Star was shocked. She knew Marco cared a lot about beings' perception of her, yet here he was teasing her over essentially being called a hussy.

Cautiously playing along, Star responded, "Step a little closer and I'll show you how I hit."

Marco blew a raspberry, then turned and ran. Star donned a grim smile, then fired a magical beach ball at him, similar to what she conjured on Beach Day. Just as it was about to strike him in the back, Marco spun, dipping down to open a dimensional portal. The ball flew into the portal, exiting at Star's feet, knocking them out from under her. She would have face-planted into the ground had Marco not conjured a mat for her to land on.

"Weeeeaaaak!" Marco taunted.

Star stood, the mat disappearing with an audible poof. "Strawberry Shake Quake!"

Marco dodged all the magical strawberries but the last, conjuring a stinger to impale it. He took a bite from the strawberry. Dissolving the stinger-and-fruit kabob, he said, "My turn," firing a couple of magical shuriken at Star.

Star barely managed to twist out of the way, the magical throwing stars cutting her belt, which fell away. "Not cool!"

"You don't scare me! I fart in your general direction!" Marco turned his butt toward Star, flapping the back of his hoodie and making fart noises.

"You asked for it! Warnicorn Stampede!"

The herd of angry magical Warnicorns lowered their heads and charged. Marco stood smiling, then at the last second dropped out of sight into a portal he opened under his feet. The Warnicorns stopped in confusion, running into each other, then disappeared as Star lifted the spell to prevent any collateral damage.