XI

Possible spoilers between the ⭐🦋 and 🦋⭐.

— OoOoO — O — OoOoO — O — OoOoO —

Having changed back into their everyday clothes, Star and Marco took their places at the meeting table in the MHC meeting room, atop the Bureaucracy of Magic. "Thank you, everybody, for coming here, even if some of you again didn't want to do their duty." Hekapoo looked around the table as if she had no clue what Marco was talking about. Hekapoo sat at one end of the table, Moon and River at the other. Angie, Rafael, and Eclipsa sat across the table from a sitting Star and a standing Marco. "Queen Moon will have the final say, but in my opinion what we discuss here today must be kept confidential until an official announcement is made. Anybody who believes they cannot live with that, I suggest Queen Moon order them to leave."

Marco looked at Moon, who simply responded, "What he said." Marco smirked at Moon's growing informality.

Speaking to the room at large, Marco said, "Janna, regardless of how you're watching this, we need an acknowledgement from you that you'll keep the secret ... or we'll have the King's Guard escort you to a place where you can't spy; the Monster Castle dungeon, perhaps."

Star's compact phone chimed with Janna's ring tone, I'm a Gummy Bear. Star read Janna's text aloud, "I'd like to see you try, but I swear to continue to keep the secrets." Star looked at Marco. "Continue?"

Marco's only response was a mostly unintelligible mumble about stakes and hearts.

Angie had noticed a difference between what Marco and Janna said. "Secret-s?" she asked.

Marco sighed. "Unfortunately, yes, and ..."

"Wait," River interrupted, asking, "where are the flagons of ale? We can't discuss matters of state without flagons of ale!"

"I asked the wait staff not to bring ale with any refreshments, given the emotional nature of ..."

In a frustrated tone, speaking for the entire audience except River, Rafael said, louder than he intended, "Please to be getting to the secret telling!"

"Okay, dad. As you all know, we collected DNA samples for genetic testing, and I have the results. I'll give a copy of everything to Queen Moon so if anybody needs the nitty gritty details, you know where to go. To begin, do all of you remember what Star and I told you about DNA?" Everybody around the table nodded. "I wasn't certain whether an alien species would even have DNA, but, happily, all the native and nonnative species on Mewni do have DNA."

Marco looked around the room at the looks of confusion. River, the Stump Day storyteller, was the first to figure it out. Slowly, he said, "I presume you're not speaking of Dame Janna and the Diazes when you speak of nonnative ... species, was it?" Marco nodded. "Our known history says Monsters were already here when Mewmins arrived. We've always assumed our ancestors traveled here from a distant land ... but you're telling us they came from a very distant land? From another dimension?" There was a collective gasp.

"The evidence supports that, yes."

"Is it possible to use your science magic to discover which dimension?"

"That's possible only if you have genetic material you know is from that other dimension, and ..."

"Oh," River said, crestfallen.

"You didn't let me finish; we do have that material."

"But," Eclipsa chimed in, "you collected this whatchacallit, genetic material, from only the Mewni and Earth dimensions."