Chapter 21-6 Days Left

Before you start reading, I just want to say a massive thanks for 1k reads! I really appreciate those of you who are committed to reading this book, and I hope I don't disappoint. 

Enjoy your reading!

Leah POV

I was on edge for a few hours after I had told everything to Theo. Well, everything except for his name and address, considering that he said he was willing to go pay him a visit. But ever since yesterday, Theo has been acting like nothing's changed.

I needed to talk to Clarke though. She had said that she wasn't going to tell anyone. She said that right to Mary's face. 

So, why would she lie?

* * * * *

Vlado POV

My head made a 'thud' sound when I dropped my head on my desk. Even though it was light, my forehead began to throb, which just worsened my headache. Lucky me.

"Woah," the door to my office closed. "What's got you feeling like," there was a pause, "that?" I looked up from the desk and saw Romero walking towards me. I dropped my head onto my desk once more with a groan.

"Sounds rough." He joked as I heard the scraping of the chair. Even though I didn't have the energy, I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?" My voice muffled against my arms.

"Right, so, the alliance with the Semenov Mafia was successful."

"Great, you can leave now."

"That's not all, Vlado," I heard the annoyance in his voice as he spoke, and it didn't take a genius to figure out that he was probably rolling his eyes. "The Semenov Mafia are excited about this alliance so much, that they want to fly over here on Sunday to celebrate." I inclined my head, waiting for him to say the words that I was dreading.

"They want you to throw a celebration." I groaned in disappointment. This happened almost every time we made a new alliance with another mafia. I've had all kinds of celebrations, and I just didn't see how this one could be any different.

"I don't-"

"Want to, feel like it, I know. I've told you this enough times before that I'm sure you remember what they would say if you refused to hold a party." I rolled my eyes.

"That they'll break the alliance and spread rumours." I sighed. Kinda reminds me of high school.

"Exactly, so we need to make sure to give them a good party. You know how powerful they are."

"Yeah; less than us." He scoffed and I smiled. 

He rose from his chair and headed toward the office door. "Alright then, I'll leave you to it." Just as he was about to leave, he poked his head through the door. "Oh, and for your headache, you should go down to the kitchen to grab some chamomile tea. Don't let your 'masculinity' stop you." He left before I could reply.

* * * * *

I walked through the doors of the kitchen, taking another deep breath as my head pounded again. Damn, why wouldn't it go bother somebody else?

A loud clang from the left caused me to suck in a quick breath as my head pounded again. My eyes squeezed shut as I tried to keep the headache under control.

"Sorry," I heard a small voice which made me open my eyes. Leah stood by the sink with a large pot in her hands. "I didn't know you were in here."

I waved her off. "It's all right," and headed to the cabinets closest to me. Things between Leah and I were still a bit awkward, but it had lessened recently. It made avoiding her a lot less necessary.

"What's going on?" I heard her ask before I heard another light clang of the pot.

I rummaged through the tea boxes as I spoke. "Got a headache and Romero recommended chamomile teas. Also told me not to let it hurt my masculinity." I muttered the last part to myself, but apparently, it was loud enough for her to hear. Leah let out a soft laugh before covering it with a cough.

"Sorry, I shouldn't laugh." I looked at her from the corner of my eyes. She looked uncomfortable, and...nervous?

"It's all right. He's not wrong." I joked, trying to lighten the mood and make her feel more comfortable. Thankfully, it did and she let out a small giggle to which I smiled at. Her laugh was nice.

...I need to stop.

A small hand came into view, and quickly there was a teabag in my hand. I gave a grateful smile to the woman next to me.

"Thanks, I would have never found it." I walked over to the stove to boil some water but found that there was already some boiled. I looked over at Leah and saw her drinking from a cup I hadn't noticed before. 

She took a small sip. "Chamomile helps with sleep," was all she said. I was reminded of that night, and I opened my mouth to ask her about it but closed it quickly. I wasn't about to scare her off again just as we began having a normal conversation. 

I put the water and teabag into a cup and added a touch of milk. I leaned against the counter and took a regretful sip of the tea. It was really hot. But I tried to play it off as nothing as Leah spoke.

"So, what have you been doing today?" Her eyes observed me carefully but with amusement as if she knew I had just burnt my tongue.

"Nothing really, just having to plan a party for some business partners." I lied smoothly. Well, it wasn't really a lie. They were business partners, but not in the way that she probably thought.

"Huh," she said before she took another sip of her tea and looked to the side.

"Actually," I gained her attention again. "Do you want to help me?" She scrunched her eyebrows together and made a face.

"I'm not really good with party planning and people." She replied.

"You don't have to go to the party." She gave me a look. "Not like that! I just mean if you don't want to if you're really that uncomfortable."

"But I could really use another helping hand on the planning. Usually Romero and Clarke help, but I think we could use an objective set of eyes." She was silent for a short moment before she gave me a small smile.

"Sure, why not?" I gave her a smile and took another sip of the tea, and I couldn't help but notice that I no longer had a headache. I guess the tea worked.